1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel engine/Western Wideout.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by krug, Jan 4, 2010.

1. krug

krug Junior Member

I just came back from my Western dealer. I am currently running an 8' Pro straight blade and have been considering getting a wideout or V. I have an 03 Ram 2500 with a Cummins. The guys told me that they won't put it on my truck because it's too much weight for my front axles. They went so far as to say that Vehicle Compliance Officers are cracking down on have too heavy equipment on trucks like mine. I understand that gas engines are lighter but would it make that much difference?

Questions: Is this common knowledge and I'm just hearing about it (possible!)? Are any of you guys running the heavier plows on your trucks, with diesels, and have you snapped any axles?

They will sell it to me, but they won't put it on.

2. Koonta

Koonta Junior Member

I've got a '98 Ram with a cummins and boss doesn't recommend a plow for it, but I've ran a 71/2' boss super duty for probably 5 yrs and a 71/2' V for the last 2 and haven't had what I thought was unreasonable wear. Dealer said as long as it had a straight axle under it I was OK, I thought Dodge had beefed their frame up since then too. You can go on their web site where there is a chart and spec your truck and it'll either suggest a plow or not,

3. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

There are tons of guy's putting big plows on with diesel. Is your truck an extended or crew cab? Thats usually when they say they won't install. If you do a search on here for your question you will find 100's of topics discussing this.

4. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

Hey I have a buddy with a 05 dodge 2500 with a diesel and he has a 9.5 MVP steel on his no problem what so ever even with no weight in the box..... but he nomally has 800lbs or more in the box..... counter balance weight is everything......

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I know several guys with the Cummins and Blizzards, so you should be fine hanging one of those little WO's on that truck.

wesport

6. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

id say you will def. prematurely wear the front end out, if not the ring gear inside the diff.

they dont put ratings on the vehicle for nothin you know!

7. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I just bought a 05 ctd and I just put my 8.5' MVP with wings (measures a little over 10.5') and the truck holds it just fine.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Check sig. No problems.

9. niederhauser la

niederhauser la Member
    from Utah

10. krug

krug Junior Member

Thanks for the input fellas. I think I'll go for the Wideout.

Nice rig, niederhauser, pretty much the same as mine only yours is clean!

Cheers.

11. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

what does ther ring gear have to do with weight?
    put 700 lbs against the tailgate and go for it. my dealer just had me sign a thing saying i aknowledge i dont care my front end is overweight.:D

12. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

[​IMG]

13. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I have a wideout on my 2003 ctd quad cab. I believe I am over my front weight according to the sticker... this is why your dealer would not want to do it, they dont want to be responsible for any issues/warranty or problems with your truck. The truck handles it, but it is heavier that is for sure... and weight in the back makes a huge difference.

niederhauser - question for you. I have a 2007 identical to yours and Im ready to put a wide out on it. One thing that I was wondering that maybe you can answer is do you find that truck is slow in reverse? I have the exhaust brake like you and even with it off I find it slow.