1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel engine Q

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by c.t. lawn care, Feb 12, 2005.

1. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

I was wondering how diesel's react to over heating while plowing. Or do they even over heat? I am about to buy my first diesel and and wondering what to expect when i put a blizzard plow on it. Thanks guys

2. DJC

DJC Senior Member

We have a F250 P/S and have a 810 blizzard. Temp guage never moves either with the plow on or off.

3. jbjw@netins.net

jbjw@netins.net Junior Member

i don't know what kind of a diesel truck that you are looking for but i have three cummins turbo diesel's all with 8 foot western plows on them and i have never had one overheat on me and i even have the cold air stops in all the grills. 1-97,1-98,& 1-91 and you can drive up and down the road with the blades on at 65mph and never get hot, so my suggestion is to hurry up and buy one and start enjoying the awesome power.

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Never overheateed from plowing or carrying the plow. Only time it heated up was when I lost my serpantine belt. The 7.3 powerstroke has something like 18-24 quarts of coolant in it.

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

diesel overheat

When an engine diesel or gas over heats things break. Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel over heated due to thermostat sticking closed and was left unattended to warm up for a long period of time. Results were cracked head. This job cost him a bundle. New heads $1200 +.

I have diesel and gas. For a plow truck only 3/4 ton I would not get diesel. I have a Cummins Dodge in past 3 yrs I have replaced the turbo, injection pump, transfer pump, fuel regulator, tranny heat exchanger and the tranny lines. You are looking at about $5K in repairs. You have to be a diesel mechanic to repair this truck. The fuel shut off solenoid is $350.00. They are good if you don't have a breakdown.

If you need the power of a big diesel get one but if you want to be noticed... you will pay for it.

Dave

6. Ian

Ian Member

I have been very happy with my 97 dodge and to answer your question I have never even seen the temp. needle get to the half way mark, plowing, towing or with the camper and I do use the winter grill covers.

Honestly, I don't need a diesel, I just want one and have had no engine related repairs above routine maintenance. I have put a couple grand into the tranny to beef it up, it didn't have problems I just wanted some insurance. Skyking is probably correct with the 3/4 ton recommendation, but I had to clear snow driffs on a country road just to get to one of my drive ways. It was nice to ease into the drift and then drop the pedal and see the snow come up over the plow and onto the hood. With alot of weight in the back it is hard to stop.

7. jeffwoehrle

jeffwoehrle Member

Never had an overheat problem, plow or no plow.

I"m sure a thermostat problem would lead to an overheat issue no matter if it's gas or diesel.

8. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

over heat diesel or gas

Yes you are right. With a gas truck most people don't let it warm up. Just get in and go. With a diesel you don't have much power at cold operating temperatures. I have 3 diesels. Dodge needs least amount of warm up before driving. The International 4700 T444E wont move when it is cold, the computer will not allow the engine speed to increase until it is warm. The Ford backhoe just has NO POWER when cold. Blows black smoke and wont move.

What happened to buddy with the 6.5 GM was he let it warm up for a long time like 1 hour and figured it would not cause an issue. Now I understand why the remote starts wont allow the rig to run for longer than 20 min.

I did a cost recovery on diesel vs gas when diesel was cheaper than gas. My number came back that the diesel truck would not last long enough to pay for it self. Also now the cost of diesel is more than gas in our state, oil filters are 2x the cost of gas engine oil filters, truck takes 3 to 4 x the amount of oil per oil change and the dreaded cost of the fuel filter.

Like I said.. if ya need the power get a diesel...if you drive a diesel to look cool and sound cool you will pay!

Dave

9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

A lot of Cummins owners actually REMOVE the radiator fan assembly in the colder months of winter, mine's on the workbench. I have a winter front on too, in front of the intercooler and everything. I really doubt in the winter a Cummins needs a radiator. The heater core can handle the job fine from late Nov. to April.

Dave

If you want to give me that truck, I'll take it! Love the Cummins :)

10. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Diesels run cool at idle, seem to only get "hot" when working.

11. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

Proseasons

I must have not been clear on my post. The cummins needs the LEAST amount of time to heat up before driving when compared to the other 2 diesels we have. I have a winter front on it. It warms up ok just takes time. My jeep yj takes the least amount of time to heat up. If I drive it 3 miles down the road it is putting out some good heat. Only thing it has small plow on it. We do side walks with it.

12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

No overheating problems with my powerstroke. :)

13. c.t. lawn care

So what do you think is the better engine to get? 7.3L or the 6.0L Just Wondering what you guys think.

14. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I don't think i ever seen a diesel over heat unless there was something wrong with it.

15. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

7.3 some of the earlier 6.0 had problems. It I where to get a 6.0 I'd only buy new.

16. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I have a duramax and run with a winter cover over just the top of the radiator(wold run over the bottom too but want my trans cooler to get air) and run a 9.5 v and never get over normal operating temp for the summer. Even durring transport. I am modded also.

old ford na 6.9, 2000 7.3 and the new 6.0 all run cool in the winter while plowing in my experience also.

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

The same thing that happened to the Chevy would have happened to any engine, diesel or gas, had the thermostat stuck closed.
    As to the Dodge repairs- you either got a lemon or your maintenance is seriously lacking- no offense intended. I can't follow your cost analysis for a diesel not paying for itself- unless your factoring in the unlucky repairs you've needed. My Dodge has already paid for itself, and all I regularly do is plow. Working gas engines are toast by 150K miles- diesels are minimum of 300K miles for a rebuild, no emissions for 48 states, no tuneups (only valve lash every 50K miles so that's normally every 2 years) just oil and fuel filters- same as a gas engine.
    Tranny lines rust out when you fail to wash the undersides after plowing- maintenance issue- I just dropped a grand to have mine done this fall (it's a 1996 mind you with 122K miles on it and has plowed every year since new) Fuel lines will do it too, as well as brake lines and it doesn;t matter what engines you have for that.
    Shutoff solonoids almost never go bad on their own- the relay sticks and burn's them up or the most common is the boot tears and water and crap gets inside the solonoid- again not noticing the torn boot is lack of maintenance.

Lack of maintenance can be caused by untrained maintenance personnal. I have more trouble with going through tires from the torque than any mechanical problems.
    Oh, BTW your due for the starter to go- search for the TDR article on them- they rebuild easy than heck and the only thing wrong with them is the contacts in the solonoid burn away- someone has a replacement contact kit with the heavy duty contacts (it's a standard soliniod ised in many starter motors- including HD motorcycles) and a knew plunger for cheap $, a new starter is unnecessary and expensive.

18. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

diesel repair costs or lack of maintenance

How does lack of maintenance cause a turbo, injection pump, transfer pump, fuel shut off solenoid etc to fail? The pull in part of the shut off coil failed an internal wire failure, how is that poor maintenance? You change oil, filters, grease and wash them off. Our rigs are pressure washed off at end of season. Once salt is on a piece of steel you always have a rust problem. In our state the roads are white with salt from beginning of winter till spring and several rains. The gas trucks have had spark plugs be so corroded that the head required removal to get out the plugs UNDER WARRANTY.

The tranny lines and heat exchanger are on an 11 yr old truck. Imagine an 11 yr old snow plow truck that had been out in every snow sense 93 having rust on it.

Oil changes 11 quarts for diesel 6 for gas. Diesel oil filters 2 times the price of gas engine oil filters, diesel fuel filter costs more than gas filter, diesel fuel costs more than gasoline and the engine cost $4,200 more than a gas engine. Gas truck gets 14 mpg and diesel gets 18mpg. Do the math. Diesel costs more. Also you have to factor in the cost of replacing the upper and lower ball joints in a diesel sooner as the engine weight is more.

I was told that diesel was cheaper to operate. The book keeper showed me different. I own and operate 3 diesel engines and gas rigs also. If we need the HP we get an engine that produces it.

Dave

19. c.t. lawn care

Hey i depreciate those of you that are helping me with my question. I dont care to much for the arguing about the gas v's diesel. I just wanted a question answered... so those of you that cant answerer my question dont post a reply. Thanks.

20. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Hmm, trying to make friends I see- good idea.

Any engine will overheat if it doesn;t get enough cooling. My Chevy has a 4 row core instead of the stock 2 row- no overheating. The Dodge (diesel) hits about 195 before the t-stat opens with the plow on (and half the grill blocked for airflow) then the giant radiator drains is back down to almost nothing until I am about half way through the route then it only drains it down to about 175 degrees. Haven;t overheated yet- don;t expect to but you have to watch the guage anyway. twice this year the guage has run up to about 200 and stayed there for a few seconds longer than it should have so I will be flushing the cooling system and replacing th tstat this spring. The normal range on mine is up to like 215 so it's well within "normal" range for the truck just a little above what is normal for my specific truck. Most Diesel's have adequate cooling systems that overheating is not a problem as opposed to gas engines. The whole fundemantal theory of thermodynamics and operational theory of how the 2 engines designs work dictates both the need for better cooling for the diesel and the resultant that Gas engines are more prone to overheating.
    That better?