1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel engine on a snowblower?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by secret_weapon, Mar 11, 2008.

1. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Has anyone here tried this? There is a video of a guy clearing his yard that put a diesel engine on his blower. I've seen small air cooled diesel engines 5 - 9 hp, I bet they would do pretty good with all the torque they have.

What do you guy's think?

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=323437438676671494

2. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Why bother gas does just fine.

snow blower1.jpg

snow blower2.jpg

4. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Wouldn't a small diesel engine be hard to start in the winter time. Electric start with glow plugs?

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I could see it being grumpy to start in the cold weather. Probably not a good idea. There's plenty of powerful gassers out there that are built specifically for cold weather use. And what is it going to do for you...? A little less fuel consumption? Sounds like a lot of work and cost for no real reward.

6. secret_weapon

I don't think starting would be a big deal, and I'd just let it run the entire night until I'm done, idling between lots. I dont use it too much, but when I have to clear a sidewalk that the city threw all the snow, I would like something a little more powerful. Besides all my equipment is kept in a heated garage.

7. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

WTF!!!!!!!! who ever built that concoction has to much time on his hands. that's unreal!!

8. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

It don't have glow plug but have electric starter. there way to get start is spray starter fluid and they success.

It cool to see those blue smoke when it coldest outside.

9. secret_weapon

Seriously!! ussmileyflagStart that thing up at 2 or 3am to clear some resi drives! :redbounce

10. secret_weapon

I wont do it this winter, maybe try this summer or fall when getting ready for next winter.

11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

HAHA that 350 with open headers probly makes his neighbors preety mad when hes clearing his drive in the early morning hours

12. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Once you start use ether to start a diesel engine, you will probably use it all the time.

13. Kingwinter

Kingwinter Senior Member

I've thought about going to northern tool and getting a diesel engine for our blower, but their like $1500 vs $300-400 for a gasser.

The only reason i wanted it though was to brag :)

14. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

I've got a 4 foot snowblower with a 22 hp Kubota diesel1005 cc engine. wesportYou can even ride on it ! It's called a Bobcat 463 skidsteer with a SB150 snowblower attachment. Well I didn't say I built it!:rolleyes:

15. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Yeah pretty crazy!! :eek: There was a whole write up on it, but I didn't save it. The handle bars are heated with water from the radiator. I wonder how he gets the power to the wheels?

16. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member