1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel Engine Backfire

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Vaughn Schultz, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Well Last snow storm our 1996 New Holland, L783, Ford Diesel decided to start backfiring out the exhaust after about 2+ hours of running. I really never knew a diesel could backfire. Till this night it never backfired or gave us any problems. This is also the longest that the skid steer has ever ran 3+ hours. One other thing that we did do differently was add some "heet anti gel" stuff for diesels. Any ideas ? I am headed over to the shop to drain the fuel now and start from there. When we bought the skid steer we were told that the engine and fuel pump was new.

Thank you, Eric

2. oarwhat

oarwhat Senior Member

About 6 years ago when the low sulfur fuel came out we had two trucks gel the filters. I filled the new filters with power service and fired them up.Both of them smoked like hell and backfired a few times. It's The only time I heard a diesel backfire in 30+ years

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure that it backfired and that it didn't just start running backwards? When they run backwards they will pop back through the muffler sometimes. If it does start running backwards just shut it off and restart it.