1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel conversion

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by staley52, Jan 7, 2002.

1. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

yes you all think I am a freak but I want a project and I want to put a small diesel in a s10 pickup. like the 4cyl version of the cummins in dodges or a small CAT does anyone know of this being done know of any sites that woould give any info. I just love diesels the power sound and smell plus I will have a truck with 300+ ftlbs of torque and get 40+ mpg

2. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Looked at putting a Detroit in my old Dodge a while back just for the heck of it. Looked like a lot of work to me.

Would make a great project though,
    Mark K

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I know of people putting a Toyota diesal into a Toyota pickup. Pretty straightforward as they are produced that way overseas. Not sure how hard it would be in another vehicle.

4. reallyrusty

reallyrusty Member

might want to check out the isuzu diesels used ~10 or 15 years ago in their small pickup. The mileage wasn't that great for a diesel. around mid 20s. Isuzu and gm do have some commonality, though i personally don't know how much.. good luck.

5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

6. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Believe it or not, I owned a diesel chevette at one time. Boy I loved that car. 40 mpg, plenty of torque, lots of strange looks at the stoplight, a lot of people telling me I have a rod knocking. :D

I don't know how many they made, but it was the same isuzu engine that they put in the chevy luv pickups. If it wasn't for the unibody rusting through, I would have kept it much longer.

I know there are adapters to put diesels in Jeeps, so it shouldn't be to hard to find one for an S10 since many gm engines are basically a "bolt in" for Jeep conversions.

And it's probably just EPA requirements that prevent us from buying Jeeps WITH diesels. They do export many diesel Jeeps. But only built a diesel Jeep for the US in 1961 thru 1965.

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Dave

I had a customer yesterday that as I ws talking to him was looking very strangely at my F350 PSD idling about 30 feet away. After a few minutes he said to me, "Boy that thing needs to have the valves adjusted. For a newer truck they are pretty loud" :confused: :confused: :confused:

After a silent lugh I informed him that it was a diesel and in perfect running condition.

8. chevroletwizard

chevroletwizard Junior Member
    from indiana

SOUNDS LIKE A FUN PROJECT IF U GOT TIME AND PLACE. I KNOW THAT OLDS HAD A DEISEL FOR THE GUTLASS CUTLASS THAT WAS A MODIFIED 350 , AND YOU ALREADY KNOW THAT A SMALL BLOCK WILL BOLT IN AN S10, BUT I WOULD JUST SMALL BLOCK IT AND KEEP THE GOOD OL' GAS, JUST AN OPINION :D