1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel and Gas

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by scooterdayton, Dec 27, 2008.

1. scooterdayton

scooterdayton Junior Member

Just thought id comment.
    We have a F350 powerstroke with a 8FTbossVplow and a old 88Chevy 2500 with 7.5 hiniker. both are brand new plows.
    the F350 is a tank and will ram anything as well as shuv the piles high but if you back over any snow, good luck scrapeing it off. and its sucks being on and off the gas so much getting 7mpg. great for lots but not residential.
    but with that old chevy 5.7 it barely uses any gas, and scrapes excellent. doesnt way enough to really pack the snow down so you dont have to worry about running it over. dont have to worry about starting it up as well.

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

What powerstroke do u have?? 7.3, 6.0, 6.4?

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

if you had a cummins you wouldn't have to worry about starting it either:D ..juuust kidding !!!!

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ya u would be worried if the tranny was gona make it. :D

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

That's no joke. I never plug my truck in and it starts right up.

Not true! My 48 RE is tough as nails. As long as you are not a moron its a great tranny.

6. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

i get 12mpg plowing in my cummins (only have a 7.5 plow so i don't have as much snow to push). i have a first generation (93) and have put my trans though hell and it is still going it is not stock power wise either.

o yea, it starts easier in the cold than all the other gassers that are around here.

7. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

I've plowed with my Cummins since day one and I've bailed a few gassers out along the way.

One time in particular, a guy had an F250 and was plowing an uphill driveway in a wet 10-12" of snow. He claimed he could only strait blade it because the front end would slide over. He had a mound piled up about 3/4 of the way up an asphalt driveway with stone retaining walls on each side.

I get the call, "Um, I'm kinda in a jam and the lady has to be to work in a 1/2 hour".

He had basically pushed so much snow up this drive that he could not move it. It was one big mound with a perfect plow mold shape facing me.

I eased into the pile, picked the blade up an inch or two, gave it the juice, and with a cloud of black smoke and a little tire churp I pushed the wad up over the rise. The truck is a tank and I proved it that day.

8. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

I have an f350 dually dump that weighs 10k pounds and has the 6.0 diesel. The truck is stock and I get 10mpg plowing with a 9.5' MVP. 7 mpg seems really low even plowing. The cleaning issue could be the attack angle of the plow. Look at the Boss plow, maybe it is more vertical at the cutting edge than the Hiniker. A steeper angle will clean better in my opionion. I doubt the truck would determine if the plow cleans compacted snow or not.

9. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

my 6.0 f350 srw pickup gets around 10-11 and i can go almost 20 hours one one tank of gas

10. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 Member

I used to have a 01 Dodge Cummins and it was the worst plow truck I ever had. The rear had the limited slip which never worked under extreme conditions. I have plowed in a 02 Ford Powerstroke and it did allot better then the Dodge. Then I had the joy of plowing in a 02 Chevy Duramax and that thing would out plow any of the other two I mentioned. They all had Boss 8,6 straight blade plows on them. It out plowed them so much we lined them all up to see what one would keep plowing and what one would stop and spin. The Chevy took it all the way to the curb where as the Dodge stopped early and the Ford almost made it to the curb but it also stopped and spun. All this was due to the rears not locking and the Chevy did lock up and kept going. IMO the newer and older Chevy's were and are the best plow truck made.

11. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

x2 i know this will start a war from all the guys that are going to say my truck holds a plow better or i know a guy who hated his chevy and loves his dodge. im just gonna second what ben had to say and watch all the haters chime inwesport

12. 05Duramax073

05Duramax073 Member

I love plowing with my chevy. The truck just keeps on going. Unless I get on ice, and we all know what it is like when you are on a sliver of ice and trying to push a big pile verticaly.

13. JDiepstra

To each their own. My Dodge has been unstoppable for me. If Ben would properly equip his trucks for the job at hand, he wouldn't be complaining about them.

14. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 Member

15. JDiepstra

So then how is my truck leaving rubber on both sides when I smoke the tires?

16. RamPainting LLC

RamPainting LLC Senior Member

Why would you be "kidding" it's the truth! :D

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Colligan

You better not be putting gas in that 6.0

:D

18. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

wow crete i meant fuel lol
    so used to just saying gas

19. chevy v

chevy v Junior Member
    from ct

i'm with big ben, chevys are the best. they don't stop pushing

20. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

There has NEVER been a Ford or Chevy built (stock) that will either match up plows in the front or hook chains in the back that will out pull or out push a Dodge Cummins. That includes any of my trucks from the 92,93,94,95,96,97,98,2000,2004 or 2006. In fact my 2500 trucks will outpull the 350 Ford or Chevy. Especially if you put either one or two 2500 pound skids in the bed. Been there and done all of that. Made lots of money doing it too. Also have 250,000 miles on trucks with NO tranny issues. A sensor that makes it shift, maybe. SALT! SALT! SALT! Lets see any Chevy or Ford beat 22 MPG on highway with a 3500, 14 MPG pulling a 30K trailer, or 17 MPG in town....NOT gonna happen...NEVER has...NEVER will. Ford dealers have been telling people for 15 years they would have a Cummins next year and Chevy has tried 6 or 8 different abortions under the hood.