1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diesel/allison tranny question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rmartini27, Feb 6, 2009.

1. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

:confused:i have a question does anyone know the way to tell if the 6.6 liter 2500 hd has the allison tranny. im looking to buy a used 2500hd and online im not sure if the people are listing the allison tranny. the 2009 2500hd diesel only comes with the allison tranny (i think). i wish i could afford the 2009 but im looking between 2002/2006. i just wish i had a way to tell from the vin but i dont know if i can

2. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

Spin on filter. All duramax come with allison

3. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

agreed:nod: they only came with the allison, they would blow a 4L80E to bits!!

4. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

im looking online at these trucks sometimes they show pics of the engine sometimes not is there any way to tell throgh vin? what year was the duramax only offered with the allison if ever. sometimes they list it as a auto four speed tranny w/overdrive. would that be a allison. is the tranny that much better

5. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

also if the cluster has a trans temp gauge is that an allison?

6. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

as far as i know all hd's have the trans temp guage, my 6.0 does. all duramax engines have the allison!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

from what year? has the duramax always come only with the allison?

8. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

yes all years!!!!

9. CHEVYMAN2001

CHEVYMAN2001 Junior Member

I have an 01 2500HD Duramax and it has an allison.

10. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

thats great news guys i thought it was an option i didnt know it was standard with the duramax. thanks alot for your help

11. CHEVYMAN2001

I would ask if the injector pump and or injectors have been replaced.They are a common problem on the early models.

12. CHEVYMAN2001

What's up? Just joined today.

13. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

As already stated: Duramax engine = Allison transmission 100% of the time. Earlier diesels that were not Duramax (6.5L, 6.2L) did not get Allison transmissions, but for a while you could get an Allison behind the massive 8.1L gas motor. Manual transmission was never an option for pickups with a Duramax and none of GM's other automatic transmissions would survive the torque.

Check out www.dieselplace.com for more Chevy diesel motor tech than you could possibly handle.

As a "gee whiz", my D-Max pickup and my Subaru Legacy are the only vehicles I've owned that have spin-on transmission filters.

14. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

not much man i can replace the injectors is it any harder w/a diesel ive never worked on one. do they run more expensive?

15. CHEVYMAN2001

It can be a very expensive job if the truck is out of warrenty.

16. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Do a search on dieselplace for injectors. They were a known weak point in the early years. GM tacked on a whole lot of cool points by extending the warranty WAY beyond original to take care of their customers and upgrade the injectors to some new bombproof hardware. Once the earlier motors got the injector upgrade, they last forever and get better mileage than the later model motors. If you have to buy the injectors yourself rather than on warranty, it will cost as much as a house payment.

17. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

No way. It runs on a cp3 which is a mechanical IP driven off of the flywheel. They don't just go bad.

Injectors, yes. Roughly every 100-150k on 01-early 04's and are warranted for 7 years 200k miles. $3k+ to fix if out of warranty.

And yes, from 01-current, all Duramaxes are backed by an Allison.....in trucks that is, not vans. 8.1's too.

18. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

aero nut how would i know if the injectors have been replaced and do you know the years that have the faulty hardware? is the problem in the injectors or the injector pump

19. rmartini27

rmartini27 Senior Member

h20 thanks for the info

20. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

To find out if the injectors were replaced, take the VIN to a Chevy dealer and ask.