1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diesel 1.99

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by qualitycut, Feb 22, 2009.

1. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

Just filled up from almost empty for 48.00. This summer I was at about 120-30 to fill. 1.99 a gallon didn't think we we see this again.

2. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

ssssshhhhhhhhhh don't jinx it!

3. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

as of 2/19 im paying 2.70 NY Taxes !!!!!!! it is better than the 5.10 i was payinong thru summer i have a roll off container biz and it hurt highest ever paid to fill the f 550 197$$ wtf

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

There is one station in town for $1.99 here but it is a small station that sells little diesel, so I am not chancing a tank of bad fuel.

5. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

lucky for you guys im holdin off a little longer before i buy my first diesel truck cause im sure as soon as i sign those papers the price of diesel will sky rocket again. :dizzy:

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you haev my luck. Bought a diesel truck, diesel fuel goes through the roof and resale value tanks.

7. plowmanben

plowmanben Member
    from MI

I heard last week from a trucker that on the turnpike in Oklahoma it was $1.61!!!!!

8. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

yea please dont even talk about it :salute:

9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I'm paying $2.06 for diesel, $1.84 for gas.

10. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Where'd you get $1.99 diesel?

11. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Gas truck gets 10-13 on Average (With the exception of Fords 6.4 MPG issues) You can get 16-20mpg on Average with a Diesel. At its peak in MA my gas station hit 4.99 and Gas hit $4 a gallon.

30 gallons of $4 gas = $120
    30x12 (Average MPG gas full size 3/4 ton+) =360 miles

30 Gallons of $5 Diesel =$150
    30x17( Average MPG diesel Full size) =520 miles

160 mile Difference on average per tank

So Gas engines cost $30 cheaper to fill. So use $30 to buy gas at $4 a gallon gives you 7.5 gallon
    7.5x12= 90 miles

90 miles plus the 360 miles =450 miles
    So to make up the extra 70 miles you need to buy 5.3 gallons at $4 a gallon. So thats another $21

Trust me you lost money not buying a Diesel when prices went up. most people are not smart enough to sit down and do the numbers. The just saw the 5 a gallon and figured they were better off at 4. But ofcourse the ecomony and the morons that called themselves future traders were saying gas was going $6 in 2009 and Diesel could be close $8 a gallon. So even if you sat down and did numbers they all pointed to buying a smaller truck like a toyota.

And when you all chime in about extra cost of Diesel trucks. Yeah they cost more. But the resale value far out weighs any gas engine by far when they get older.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  12. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

13. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Your 100% right. Most gas stations around here make about twice as much off a gallon of diesel compared to unleadeds. Its supply and demand. You know what I think is the main reason the Big 3 automakers dont build diesel cars. If they built a decent cheap diesel car that got 40+ miles per gallon like the VW's. They would lose money and have to really steam line there operation to run. Big 3 Auto makers build cheap (Monetary) cars that fall apart at 120k. So you have to buy a new one. Unlike Toyota that builds a quality product that will go 200k like the corollla and it only costs a grand more. So if they built a solid cheap diesel cars that last 200k or so. No one would buy new cars. Plus they would have tons of training to do. there is probably .000002% Diesel techs that work at Dodge that can actually fix them. It would cost alot. Hopefully they go this way with the new loans they will get. And not build those foolish Hybrids that will need batteries at 100k. Yeah Hybrids are great for the enviroment, But for the money you spend on them and cost of repairs. There fuel savings will not be worth it

14. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

In Inver Grove Heights.

15. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

Very true but when I Was in Poland and Germany this summer I could not believe the amount of ford diesel cars I seen and very very good looking cars

wonder why the euro market gets them and not us here in the US ?

I am a big diesel fan my self I drive a 93 300D 2.5turbo for a daily and will be getting the wife a R350 CDI as soon as we get rid of her big stupid gas guzzler ( 04 expedition )

Diesel is the way to go since it keeps value and lasts way longer + easy fuel conversions bio / veggie etc etc

16. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

Easier way to do the math-

$4 per gallon divided by 12 mpg = 33.3 cents per mile

$5 per gallon divided by 17 mpg = 29.4 cents per mile

17. nrplowguy

nrplowguy Senior Member

in town $1.99 for gas $2.02 for diesel this is the closest i have seen it in a long time......

18. CarCrazed4Life

CarCrazed4Life Senior Member

IMO Diesel is the better fuel, always has been. It contains more energy in a gallon of fuel then Gasoline. Unlike the rumors, it does not take twice the oil to refine a gallon of diesel compared to gasoline.

With new technologies, the Bosch Diesel have been doing extremely well. Acura's TSX was Bosch's first Diesel with the new tech that doesn't require urea injection to keep the emissions low, and still get respectable mileage, and decent performance.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/a.../18DRIVE.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=tsx diesel&st=cse

They clocked 50+ MPG on the highway, and 34 MPG in the city. Combined 44MPG was suppose to be the EPA cycle. 0-60 in 8.5 seconds, and you still get leather, nav, all the luxuries of a Acura. That plus it started ~ $30k. Take this concept, and add the fact you can get a a Hybrid system like the one in the new Ford Fusion Hybrid, and in theory get close to 55+ Combined EPA Cycle.

The cost of these vehicles are not far out of reach, they just need to be enofrced, and we have cut back on a good 60% of our oil right there if everyone had a Diesel...

Talk about no brainers...

19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Diesel is dropping around here. It was at $2.63 or so when I bout my diesel truck 2 months ago. Now it is dropping. It was at $2.19 yesterday. Haven't checked today what it is. It's only 20 cents more than gas.

20. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

diesel

Today diesel is $2.35:dizzy: which is nic hope it stays that way for the summer