1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dies out

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by farmboss088, Apr 15, 2007.

1. farmboss088

farmboss088 Junior Member

I have a 1987 chevy 3500 dump truck with a manual trans. the truck sputters and stalls when hot. truck will idle but when give it the juice it dies. what is common on these trucks that will cause that. this is my first chevy I have had all Fords.

2. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

More details!! What engine?? any mods, miles, fuel injected or carbed? etc......

3. farmboss088

350 engine 110k, carb engine, no mods

4. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I'll start simple so please don't be offended. It's usually the $10 dumb stuff that is broke!!
    1) Does it actually have gas in the tank? Don't trust the fuel gauge. Put 5 gal of gas in to be sure. See if the motor runs and if the gauge moves
    2) Check the fuel filter/ replace it. if it's carbed the filter threads into the side of the carb top. While you are at it, look close for any drops of water in the old filter. If you find some either drain the tank or load er up with dry gas.

Does the motor sound o.k.? No missing , popping, backfiring etc...

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

Are you 100% sure it is carburated and not TBI?? I know alot of 87 chevy trucks with the 350 were mostly Throttle Body Injection. It could be that it just needs a good ole tune-up. Check the under the distributor cap and see if the rotor tip is worn badly and see if the contacts on the underside of the cap have alot of build up on them. If so, just give it a good tune-up with cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Fortunatly tune-up items are fairly inexpensive for that truck. Also, if it is TBI, run a bottle of fuel injector cleaner through it. It could be the injectors are kinda clogged. I use chevron with techron fuel injector cleaner in my truck and it does the job. My grandfather swears by it in his car.

To help you identify if you have TBI, take off the air cleaner and you will see sometihng that looks identical to a carb. But it will have two injectors in the very top of it. If it is carb, it will have a choke plate and some throttle flaps behind it. You need to find out if it is TBI or carburated for sure, so we can better help diagnose the situation you are experiencing

When you say hot, is it overheating?? Or at normal temps?? If so, it could be the thermostat is stuck open or shut

6. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Ya I agree with ya Sydenstricker. I kinda thought it should be TBI too.

7. farmboss088

I will check It out better today it could be. when I say hot I mean normal operating temps.Thanks guys

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, an '87 should be TBI although some 1 tons still used the Q-jet through mid-'87. Once we know for sure what you have, I'm sure we can give some suggestions.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  9. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I would check for vacum leaks. just spray carb cleaner on all vac. lines you can find when its running if there is any change in engine speed find damanged line and fix. I have found seafoam to be the best carb and fuel system cleaner add a can to halve a tank of gas and use it up you can also slowly pour it threw carb or suck it up with vacum line it You Will Feel a Differnce. it can be found at most auto parts stores white and red can..

10. farmboss088

worked on the truck today it is a tbi, was throwing an o2 sensor code replaced that no help,complete tune up no help to problem, im stuck on this one

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Ok, now that we know you've got a TBI truck, the most common thing's that will cause a sputter or stall is either the fuel pump, the map sensor or the pick up coil in the distributor. What exactly was the O2 code? Was it for a lean condition? If so, I'd do a little further diagnosis with a fuel pressure gage and see if the fuel pressure drops off after the truck is good and hot.

12. farmboss088

it was a lean code 44 i am eplacing the fuel pump today, cleaning the tank out, iw ill try the map sensor as well, thanks

13. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

fuel pump
    lucas injector cleaner
    fuel filter
    distributor cap/wires/plugs
    map sensor

then the o2 sensors.

14. farmboss088

all set thanks guys, it was the fuel pump and a dirty throttle body. rebuilt that and replaced the fuel pump runs like a champ

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear the fuel pump/TB rebuild fixed it up. The TBI trucks are for the most part very easy to fix and or diagnose.

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It may have an Idle Air Control if it's fuel injected. Most EFI's have them,it feeds air past the throttle plate for the idle.It may not be getting enough air off idle. Like they said check for vacuum leaks. If you don't have a repair manual or need more info, most bigger libraries have the pro manuals. Just ask them.
    Haynes ( repair manuals) sell a fuel injection manual which can be of great help.
    It could be the throttle position sensor if it has one. It would have a dead spot right off idle.
    Diagonose don't just replace parts,it will just make ya mad if the $50 sensor still did not fix it! Check all connections and put dielectric grease on them and in the plugs to protect them.