1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

dieing issues

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by wahlturfcare, Nov 25, 2007.

1. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

I have a 88' f350 with a 460 that recently will start sputtering with zero power or die and not fire back up. but will after a little bit. It has all new fuel system. it is spuratic and will run fine sometimes. could the coil be bad even though it has spark?

im open to suggestions.
  2. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

My suggestion would be to get rid of it and get yourself a new truck before the upcoming plow season.
  3. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a bad coil to me.
  4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

More info: Is it fuel injection? - Duel tank? - Got spark and fuel pressure? - When does it die? - Not idle? - How long till it starts again? - Rough idle / sputtering? - How old is the distributer cap / Wires / Plugs?
  5. Mudman78

Mudman78 Senior Member
    from NJ

Sounds like the ignition module is bad. If it's fuel injected, it's a rectangular gray plastic box mounted to the side of the distributor where the harness plugs in. If it's carburated, it's a square silver aluminum box mounted on the driver's inner fender.