1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Die electric grease

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danno, Oct 5, 2005.

1. danno

danno Senior Member

What`s the advantage using die electric grease on the connections ? Doesn`t something like vaseline work the same way ? Also, is it just for electric connections ?
    Also what do you guys put on, if any, on the pivot pins ? Lithium grease ?

2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Dielectric grease keeps water and other crud out of the connection. It can be found at any parts store.

Lithium grease works well on pins and hinges.

3. norrod

norrod Senior Member

the word dielectric means - nonconductor of electricity

Some greases will conduct electricity, so putting that on a connector can create a short circuit between pins on your connector.

dielectric grease will protect from water/corrosion, and insulate the connection as well.

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

It also helps keep the metal pins from corroding .

5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

everyone so far has been right it keeps a lot of stuff out and keeps espeacially salt out of there and keeps it from corroding

6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It keeps the water and salt out and seals the connections. The connectors also come apart easier the next time. If you put it on say the threads on the pump solenoid the nut comes right off without binding. I always have a big tube of it around. Anytime you take spark plug wires off you should take a Q-tip and slather some around inside the boot.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  7. danno

danno Senior Member

Won`t vaselene do the same ?

8. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

it will not work the same, it is a lubricant, it does not conduct electricity.

9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Is "dielectric grease" the same as "silicone grease"? I put an ignition module in one of my 87' GMC's and it came with a packet of silicone grease and I was wondering if they were one and the same... :dizzy:

10. MickiRig1

Di-Electric is almost pure Silicone Grease. One property is Lube/Sealer,(It lubes assemblies,*Bulbs,Connectors,Threads,Boots,Lines*/ It seals leaks of Electrical Signal {Spark Plug Boots * No short to ground*} No leakage inward of water -salt -etc!

But the best feature is heat transfer,It's used on The back of Ignition Modules ( Fords )
    to transfer the heat of the Ignition Module to the body of the Distributer for cooling.

Your Main CPU Chip that you use to read this Posting, uses a thin layer of Di-Electric Grease between the Big Chip and the Finned heat sink. The cooling fan is mounted to the Heat Sink and pull's heat off of the CPU chip through the Di-Electric Grease and Finned heat sink into the Air.

11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

MickiRig1,

Thanks...learn something new everyday! :nod:

12. MickiRig1

That's what we are for.
    We like to teach what we have learned.
    In time we all will be on the same page, Then they change the questions!

13. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Ain't that the truth!

14. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Friend of a friend works as a mechanic on the NYC subway trains. They use vasoline in place of di-electric grease cause the manufacturers won't provide them with a big enough jar of di-electric grease. It was getting frustrating using the tubes to apply the amount of "dielectric grease" that they needed.

RYDER,

That is the point of dielectric grease, NOT to conduct electricity. If it DID conduct electricity why would you be placing it on the pin connectors of your plow/s?

15. MickiRig1

They have started selling bigger tubes at some of the parts stores. Management probaly loves the vasoline because it's cheap!

16. DJL

DJL Senior Member

payup payup payup payup

17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Either that, or its because they are doing something else down there in the dark instead of working on the electrical!!!!:D

No wonder subway's have such a reputation of being 'dirty' lol

18. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

why switch?

I use dielelectric on plug wires, plow wires, trailer plug ends. Why reinvent the wheel and try to use vaseline..Would you cut corners and use corn oil in your motor? I buy three tubes every fall and its more than enough.

19. MickiRig1

AMan
    Then there's anti-seize grease and thread locker/sealer.
    Use them on stuff,you may be the guy taking it apart again.
    I had a truck I owned for 15 years that was on 2nd & 3rd replacement parts and the stuff come's right apart!