1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

didnt even make it out of the driveway

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

So we're getting a big storm, blizzard conditions, and I cant plow yet because I'm working midnight to 8am. So I know I'll already be behind the 8-ball in the morning. I go to leave for work and plow out of my driveway one pass as I'm leaving, catch the edge of the road and trip the plow. Then the plow stops responding and swings all the way to the left. I thought I broke another piston, but looked quick and saw the plowside bolt on the end of the angle cylinder is gone, so the cylinder extended past where it should stop. So now I'm at work all night with a broken plowtruck sitting outside and by morning I'll have a foot of snow. &(&*$#^&(&^^$&&$%%^&*(%$$# IT ALL TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

Go out and fix it on your break time!!!

Sorry to hear this also....
  3. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Really sorry to hear that. Good luck with the repairs.
  4. Ford350

Ford350 Junior Member

Did you get it fixed? That suxs bro. What can go wrong will go wrong.
  5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Actually it was a pretty easy fix. My cousin has a shop in town and works nights, so he came and picked up my truck. All it took was to push against a solid object while angling right, dropped a new bolt in the hole, and because theres nowhere to put a nut I just had him tack weld the head of the bolt down to keep it from coming out again. Well, maybe more than "tack weld", its welded pretty secure. If it fails again just have to torch it off.

I know I've had to replace at least one of these before, but I dont remember not having room for a nut underneath. He said there was evidence of a weld from where a thin nut was welded in place, and you would thread the bolt down into it, like a captured nut I guess. I dont remember ever doing that, so either Blizzard tacked the nuts in there to make it easier to install the piston bolt, or the last guy to work on the plow did it for some reason.

So anyway, thanks to midnight auto got it up and running and was able to hit my route as soon as I got out of work. And the 20 inch blizzard they promised fizzled out to about 6 inches.
  6. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I never seen a Blizzard plow with bolts on the angle cylinders. Should be a pin with a clip.
  7. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

They came with bolts through at least 02