1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did you step out of your service area this season?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by szorno, Apr 30, 2011.

1. szorno

szorno Senior Member

I know a bunch of folks came to NYC, Wash DC, Chicago and other places that got hammered to help out and make some extra money when not needed at home. For those that did- Did you pre-arrange with another company or friend? Did you just go and try to find work? What equipment did you take? How did it go? payup
    We had the worst year in over 30 and if it happens again, I may want to do the "Have plow, will travel". Personal experiences only please. No hear-say or legends.
    thanks for the input...
  2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

PM Brian Young..... he did that 2 years ago and made out well...... another guy from maine (Harley I think) tried to do the same and didn't make out so well
  3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

My thoughts on the Chicago blizzard, unless you had heavy equipment there wasn't a need for much else.

The snow came Tuesday in to Wednesday, all told we were about 20"-22" with heavy drifting. We had all sites open after Wednesday afternoon and it was business as usual for Thursday. The only work that went beyond that was hauling on major accts, and that is handled locally.
  4. Mdwstsnow512

Mdwstsnow512 Senior Member

unless you were relatively local to the area, and wanted to haul ur equipment in it wouldda been pointless to most/any experienced planned contractor.
    maybe for the small fly by night types, but then you might not get paid.

now a loader on the other hand, if you had the contacts it could work for a couple weeks straight.
  5. szorno

szorno Senior Member

OK, that makes sense. Would there have been a use for a 2 1/2 ton 4x4 truck with 10 ft plow? How about a skid steer with a blower?
  6. PabstBlueRibbon

PabstBlueRibbon Senior Member

The skid with blower would have been nice. Truck wise I think everyone was very well covered. I got 4 phone calls the day before the blizzard asking if I can drive someone else's truck. In hine site I wish I would have let my dad drive mine and I drive another so that we could have doubled income.
  7. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Here is what I am hearing from people who have done it:
    Skid loaders, back hoes and wheel loaders are what it needed. Maybe some kind of decent blower.
    It should be pre-worked as much a possible. Traveling and trying to find work is dubious. Sometimes municpalities are in need enough that they will take help. Pay can be good to slow. No one I talked to got stiffed.
    Please PM me any further info. Thanks Guys.:salute: