1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

did some work

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 91AK250, Feb 3, 2008.

1. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

so recently my f-250 has been getting about 6mpg..this is without the plow doing little to no idling and no plowing..just driving around town/alittle highway.

so i decided i needed to do plugs/wires..i couldnt remeber the last time they had been done. soo
    [​IMG]

come to find out they are all fouled and coverd in un-burnt fuel!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 91AK250

nice new wires, old ones were cracked and hard!(can see some of the old ones in this pic..it was before i finished)
    [​IMG]

luckly im small :jester:
    [​IMG]

took it for a test drive..and OMG! i have TONS of power..runs and idles sooo smooth!! should have done this ages ago!

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

dose that thing have the 5.8 in it i like that motor but the 96 we have needs a new exaust manifold so come spring its gonna have to come out

4. 91AK250

nope shes alittle 5.0 i wish she had the 5.8!! lol

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Do a search on the intenet for the exhaust manifold. Advance auto parts wanted $90 for one. I got both off the internet for $53 & $56 with free shipping. The EGR pipe is there too.

6. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Hey 91AK250, were the plugs and wires hard to do? My 92 F-150 is probably in need of some similar work. I also have the noisy exhaust leak either coming from the manifold or EGR.

7. 91AK250

it was actuly VERY easy..theres so much room to work on these trucks..i'm used to working on explorers and they are cramped and a bit of a *****..this thing was easy as pie! :) goodluck!

8. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

i know what you mean about the 302s fuel mileage a friend of mine has a 1989 F-150 with the 302 and the best he ever got was about 6. he then got rid of the EFI and swapped in a edelbrock carb and different cam now he gets 14 mpg.

9. 91AK250

im pretty sure my main problem was it needed a tune up, after driving it alittle i can allready tell theres a big bump in gas milage, i could use a quarter of a tank just going across town..now it hasnt moved after a few runs across town..i know it needed it lol

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure if you did this as well but a new distributor cap and rotor might be a good idea as well. Air filter too if its been a while!!

11. 91AK250

yeah, actuly just had that and a bunch of sensors done at a shop..and it still wasnt runing like it should have so thats why i did them, thanks for the suggestion..your right they are all key parts to a good tune-up.

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You did coat the inside of both ends of the spark plug wire boots with Dielectric grease? Anti seize on the threads of the spark plugs? Gap them? Three very important steps in spark plug replacements. Replace the PCV valve too. It plugs into one of the rocker covers with a big vacuum line attached. If you have not had the fuel filter done in a while consider replacing it too.

13. 91AK250

i've never used the grease or anti-seize..and these plugs had been in there since 1999 and they came out very easy.

i did check the gap on the plugs, they were pre-gaped and they matched up within spec.

14. jjtmarineb2

jjtmarineb2 Member

I feel your pain on the gas mileage man! Just a quick question though. What is the average price of a gallon of regular gas around you? :salute:

15. 91AK250

i pay'd $2.91 for reg 87 yesterday..not too terrible

16. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

That is sad that we can describe $2.91 as "not too terrible". I saw $2.89 this morning and thought the same thing! :cry:

17. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

ya i really cant believe that i have to drop 3 bucks a gallon for gas its just nuts. and then some people look at me like i am from outer space when i tell them what i charge. between gas and insurance u cant make a buck doing anything.