1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

did some sub work and guy won't pay!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ScnicExcellence, Jan 11, 2009.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

I was in talks with a snow plow contractor in my area called IPM in kitchener waterloo. I ended up getting a cal one morning with him saying my second truck blew its tranny can you come work for about 6 to 8 hours i said sure let me finish what i was doing and i would help, this was at 5 am. I told him i would be a hour or two and i would be there he said ok. i showed up at 7am and started going around to his lots and doing them. i finish up what i was told to do and was on the way to the next few lots, then my tranny blew. I put in 4 hours of work with the guy and blew my tranny while doing work for him. the agreed upon hourly was $60 an hour.

I called him back when i wrote up the invoice and asked him how he goes about paying his invoices. He told me once a month. this was on december 24th. I said ok i will come drop this off now and you can pay me within a few days then. he said ok i can do that. I called him back to meet with him to drop the invoice off he ignored my phone calls for a couple days. i called from a different number he magically answered, i asked him what the problem was and how come he wouldn't answer the calls . said he was too busy. I said ok understandable. he then said call me back in an hour or come by my building and i will pay you. ok i called back in a hour no answer, went to the building noone there. i called from a different phone number again that night, he answered and said how come you keep calling from different numbers, i said i will cal from a different number everytime if thats what it takes for you to answer the phone. he then said call me tonight and i will give you my fax number to fax me your invoice and i can get the check ready so next time you call i already have it. i said ok. i called back and haven't got an answer for three days.

the last phone call i was talking to him he asked if would be interested in taking on part of his smaller work load. i just said lets settle the invoice first and then talk about that. he said the reason being is the other sub put in too many hours for the work he was doing and he was letting him go.

hmmmm maybe he doesn't want to pay him either.

What should i do in this situation?

company is Ireland Property Maintenance guys name is Jeff

anybody hear of this guy doing this to other people?
  2. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Thats pretty bad that he wont pay you, when you helped him out of a jam. If I was you I would keep stopping by his place of business if its close by and hopefully one time he will be there and you can talk to him face to face.
  3. Tell him if he doesn't pay you are going to start hounding his clients you plowed for money and tell them he is not paying his bills.

If that doesn't work take him to small claims court.
  4. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

What goes around , comes around . Phone calls 2 -3 times a day plus certified letters helps. An eyeball once a week on fridays also .

Unique situation , but thats why we sign contracts.
  5. A Man

A Man Senior Member

Sorry to hear that man, especially after you treated him so well only billing him 60 an hour on the biggest event of the season. I'll keep an eye out for him around town, what locations did you plow and how many properties does this guy do? Keep on him, that's my best advice.
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Catch up with him when he is plowing. You know his accounts.
  7. ScnicExcellence

i only know five of his accounts. one is a lawyers office downtown one is the blue townehouses on rittenhouse another on union street another on is behind sobeys on highland the new townehouses there the first ones. another is a building just off erb st. as well as a complex he lost on siebert.

The funny thing about it was that i got a call about one of his contracts to have me do it instead of him i said i would give a price before they told me who had the contract. this is the siebert contract. after telling me who had the contract i said they should work it out with him because he is a good guy and was in a bind that day because ofhis truck breaking down. they said they wanted my price anyways. i called him and told him what had happened and ask if he would mind if i bid it. he said he was going to talk to her and after he talks to her that he don't mind if i bid it cause he was quiting it. i said ok. the next day i talked to him again he sai he qut so i called the next day and gave my price of $650 a month i think that person that got it bid at 1000 a month including salt.

apparently he had the job at $440 a month which is nuts.
  8. There you go, thats why he wont pay you. He is a lowballer and cant afford to pay you...

Including salt is a very dangerous game. The contract would need to be very specific about when the salt is applied such as only when you plow. And even then it can turn ugly fast if we get a nasty week.
  9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo Senior Member

File a notice of furnishing ie inform the property owners you performed service at their property.

This should get his attention real quick when they start calling him and asking questions.
    The customers may even sign with you If you offer them a lien release.

If the threats don't work file....make it real uncomfortable for the guy.
  10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

For $240 bucks I would have him talk with Slugger. As in Louisville.

From what you have had to do to chase him so far I would either add on another $240 or find him out on a lot at night.

Can't keep paying $10 to get $1.

I would also check with your local law enforcement about charges of "theft of services".
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  11. Too funny... Maybe introduce him to my brothers... You might know them... Smith & Wesson ....
  12. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Grab the accounts.......
  13. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

It appears that you didn't have a contract with him. Not good but I can see why. How about proof that you even plowed for him? Do you have any proof other than your word that you did plow for him? If not, maybe the next time that you talk to him, you should be tape recording the conversation. Hopefully that will be in person. Ask him why he had asked you to plow for him if he couldn't afford to pay? Ask him what today's date is. Then when he tells you, say look, I plowed for you on such and such and today is the such and such. So what date can I expect to get paid. If nothing else he will be admitting to you plowing for him and to get it on record that you were talking to him.

I can feel the pain as I worked for a PI for a while and he started having excuses that he couldn't pay right now but I have these other real important accounts I need you to get info on. So I did the accounts and kept the files. He said I can't pay you right now but I really need that information. I said no money, no files. He moved to the other side of the state. He left a lot of other PIs without their pay also.
  14. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

personally I would plow his sidewalks/lots back in at his contracts, or plow his plow truck in.
  15. ScnicExcellence

well i called yesturday left a message saying i was going to furnish a couple of his accounts and voila today he answered when i called back. Excuse i am a very busy man i work 16 hours a day. so i said where can i come to get paid. told me the fax number and where i can go tomorrow to pickup the cheque. if not there one account i think i could grab from him is only down the street from where i have to go to get the cheque, i will go have a chat with them, lawyers office they won't like that they hired a crook. and then i will get in contact with another client and take it from him there as well. depending on the price he is in on them for i might just have to undercut him by %50 just so he don't have them anymore. lol
  16. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I had the same exact probelm getting paid a few years ago. I finally tracked him down and gave him 2 choices of payment as I had him pinned up against his truck. Cash, NO check or I was going to enjoy knocking his Fing teeth down his throat. Since I already had him by the neck with my forearm, he said let me grab my wallet.. I figure he could of paid me or his dentist the $$$ he owed me. It's BS is all I can say.payup
  17. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

I like your idea.... Enough with this "polite" bullSh*t... gotta fight back sometimes..
  18. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

Is that normal to get a cheque that quickly if you are subbing for someone? I would have thought 30 days after receipt of invoice would be acceptable. God knows if some businesses pay as bad as some of our contracts do(60-90 days or LONGER!) that this guy might be in a bind given the season we are having. I really feel for contractors with "seasonal contracts" as opposed to per time contracts.

Don't you have a mailing address for him? Call him and get his address(home/office) and send an invoice with interest charges(written by % per month and annually or it doesn't count in court) to him via Express Post-sig required.

If you have the time, just make sure you call every few days. The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
  19. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I did the nice guy stuff and waited untill I found him in the summer. He was with one of his friends who is also a friend of mine, my friend just walked away and told him to deal with his problems as he was tired of being in the middle. I called him evry other day for 3 months then I found him and he saw it from my point of view. I see him all the time and he is very nice to me and wants a guy like me on his side not against him again.:salute::)
    I pay my guys every 30 days AFTER the event ends.
  20. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I'm kinda surprised he didn't call the cops if you assaulted him.

In the end it worked out for you I guess..that's good. Sounds like you spent a lot of time in the beginning if you called every other day for 3 months. Hope you added a little on for the extra time.

It's a pain in the butt chasing people and we've all done it. The propblem with plowing is that once the event is over people forget about it--out of sight, out of mind. The worst storm to collect on is the last storm of the year. The minute stuff melts its like we never had a winter to some people. Funny how the invoice always ends up at the bottom of the pile.