1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did Some Serious Clearing Today...Truck Got a Work Out

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Doakster, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

I put my truck through some serious paces today, got stuck a number times. But there was a purpose to all this.

I needed to clear a road to get my 8n out from our back storage building and back field. Started like this.

[​IMG]

This stretch wasn't too bad, except I had no room to maneuver,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the last pic, it was all up hill on an icy incline, the worst possible case right? I got stuck about 4 times, had to do a lot of shoveling, and got pulled out a number of times. I was not happy at this point.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  2. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

Well atleast you got to it. How long was the road?

3. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Keep in mind this is all packed hard snow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the back field cleared, it took two hours to get to this point mainly because of getting stuck.

[​IMG]

And here is the whole point of this...to get the 8n out.

[​IMG]

4. thewhitestuff

thewhitestuff Junior Member

nice truck

5. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

And what was the point of this whole escapade? To get the 8n up to the barn so I could install these.....Skidder/Ice chains. Which of course were suppose to be built to my tire size but they were way too big, had to do some cutting, and I finally just got them on after about another 3 hours, I still have a little tweaking to do on them. But I can now run the tractor through a 2-3ft height snow bank no problem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Krieger91

Krieger91 Senior Member

Dang, man. Looks like your truck took a beating today, but held up.

Nice rig,.

7. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

It was only about 300ft up to the Barn, but it was all ice on the field, not fun.

8. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

A beating to say the least.....I think I took some life out of my trans today....even with my 6.0 cooler in it and running hard I saw trans temps up to 205. Of course if didn't over heat but that was higher than I expected with that cooler. If I had the stock cooler still in, my trans would have melted down right in front of me.

9. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i bet the tractor could have made it through that snow. my uncles got a 9n and that thing barrels through snow no problem with no chains.

10. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

interesting. those look to be made of out just standard chain. sure don't look like standard corked ice chains someone still did a pile of work to make them up

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

i like the 08 mirrors on the truck!

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

It will go through some snow with no chains but once it digs down to frozen ground it's done....I tried going up the field before we plowed it and there wasn't a chance it was going to make it.

Yes they're fabricated out of just regular chain, there is a lot of welding on a lot of the links, even the studs are chain cut in half and welded to a link. They were actually much more rugged than I thought they would be. Each chain weighs about 115lbs.

Here's where I ordered them from. They are a big chain supplier they have a chain for just about every piece of equipment.

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/

And mine are the "American Chains Studded".

http://www.tirechainsrequired.com/tractor-tire-chains.html

13. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

It's unbelievable how much visibility those give....I use the blind spot mirror more than the regular mirror.

14. OakhillsSnowdiv

OakhillsSnowdiv Member
    from mass

your truck looks sooo sick

15. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the compliment.

16. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

whats with the jeep i see in the back.....

17. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Not a jeep....1951 Dodge M37 Military.

18. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey Doakster,

what part of Maine you in?

I'm in the Machias area.

19. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Grew up in Augusta....live in North Turner...I have a few friends from the Machias/Jonesboro Area.