1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did my pump fail on me?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Meyer E-47, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Meyer E-47

Meyer E-47 Junior Member

Hi all, I have an old used E-47 and I went to plow my drive way yesterday, and made a few passes, then my plow became real slow. Then completely stopped. No Up, No Left, and No Right... The Motor sounds like it is working, but nothing happens... :( I have checked fluid level, It's good, I have tried bleeding it, but no luck still... Has my pump failed on me? or what can I do to find out whats wrong? There doesn't seem to be any leaks, and I don't have a pressure gauge or anything to check it. (It's what the manual told me to do) Soooo any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

sounds like 1 of 2 things. first have the motor checked. you will need to remove it first of course, but it you can find a shop where they rebuild starters and altenators they should be able to test it. The motor may be spinning but not fast enough to run the pump correctly. A friend of mine just had the same thing happen to his e60h, when he called me about it his, his description was the same, almost word for word.

3. Meyer E-47

Meyer E-47 Junior Member

Ok thanks! I think I may know of someone that could test it. ...But how many Amps should it read? The service manual doesn't seem to say... and If that was suggestion 1 of 2, what is the second thing to check? Thanks.

4. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

check your fluid . if it is foamed up, the pump probably has moisture in it and it is frozen.
    you should change the fluid every year before plowing season starts.

5. Meyer E-47

Meyer E-47 Junior Member

Well, I checked the fluid and it's not foamy... Is it possible for the pump to just stop working completely?

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

wow!...had mine rebuilt in the fall, flushed the cyl, been running great thru all the cold weather till today, had the same thing happen, no up no angle, had to run it into a snowbank and chain it!....is it the full moon effect?

will follow the advice and pull the motor, but it does run and draws the volts down, maybe condensation attacked the brushes

7. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

Oh yeh sorry bout that, got a phone call and had to leave. Check the filter screens in the pump and make sure they are clean. I believe they will be but it doesn't hurt to check. If the motor checks out ok, your gonna have to get inside and remove the pump itself.

8. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

No load max currant draw 24 amps at 12 volt

With load max currant draw 230 amps at 12 volt

9. leolkfrm

with mine it started to slow, so with 7 degree weather i figured side to side would warm the oil, after a couple of time it stopped moving even though the pump was trying to run.

hopefully it warms enough today to get into it, otherwise next week it will be in the 30 plus and get to it then

10. leolkfrm

since i kinda hijacked your thread, i hope you have good luck like i did!....60 seconds with a heat gun on the coil side and it starting running like the middle of summer....as someone suggested in another post i put a shot of isopropyl alchohol in it and cycled it about 20 times in all directions....we will see how it is in the am

11. Meyer E-47

Meyer E-47 Junior Member

Leolkfrm, it's ok. After a whole week of headaches I figured it out today. I swore that I double checked all ground connections, but obviously not.... My engine ground cable was loose... I tightened it right up, and it works like a charm... So I guess if there is a lesson to be learned here, it's always triple check wiring...... ....even if you believe you already did....... Lol So then thank you everybody for all the help and suggestions you have given! I will remember them for next time! :)

12. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

i got a call from the body shop friday night saying the pump worked great up and side to side, but now will not go down or do anything.
    and this is on a pump i rebuilt 3 months ago.

he took the switches out and changed them, changed the solenoid, and even changed the power cable from solenoid to motor.
    but never checked the ground wire on back of the valve body.
    a quick 1/4 turn of a wrench and everything came back to life.