1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I screw up??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by LwnmwrMan22, Nov 5, 2012.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I was attempting to hook up a truck side plow harness. Guy said it came off of a Ford,,,

The headlight adapters should have fit on my Dodge. They don't. Got new headlight adapters and now I have a question on the wiring.

The parking lights or turn signals don't work on the plow. Turns out it looks like I have a truck side for a 07 or newer Chevy. Can I make this truck side with my Dodge or no?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is no truck side "specific" harness on a Boss, in other words there is only one harness. You simply buy the correct headlamp adapters for the truck (which you did) to connect the plow harness to the trucks headlamps.

Assuming you spliced in the park and turn wires to the truck from the plow harness? Only other reason you won't have either park or turns is a bad ground on the plow side.

3. LwnmwrMan22

That's what I thought. However, in the directions for the Dodge adapters, it says to hook the purple to purple and pink to pink, then purple/yellow and pink/yellow to the remaining pink and purple wires. The only wire I have left is a yellow wire?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The yellow is the park light input, so obviously they won't work unless it's spliced into the trucks park wire. Simple fix there. And the additional relays are only for the turns, so they have no bearing on the park light functioning.

Did you cut directly into the plow harness to add the relays, and then connect the loose purple and pink leads coming out of the harness to the trucks turn signal circuits? Many get confused and misunderstand the instructions and simply connect the purple and pink leads back to the relays, basically creating a circuit loop to nowhere. Not understanding that they actually need to go to the trucks turn circuits as they are the "inputs" to activate the relays.

A tip pertaining to wiring the relays for this application while we're on the subject Boss wants the plow harness cut and the relays tee'd into it, but we don't do it that way. Instead we simply add the relays right on the end of the existing purple and pink leads. Saves confusion, more connections to fail, cutting of a perfectly good harness and there's no ball of wires poking out of the harness. Not to mention there's no point in cutting a wire in half in the harness when you can simply add the relays right on at the end of the wires where they're already out of the harness.

5. LwnmwrMan22

So, I believe I did what you described B&B.

I need to pull the headlights back out, figure out which wire is for the turn signal and splice into each side there, as well as the parking light, since the headlight adapters don't have a plug to run for the running lights or turn signal, correct?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That is correct. Once you're there you should be a-ok.