1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I Ruin My Battery?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by NShel, Oct 21, 2008.

1. NShel

NShel Junior Member

I have a Cat D5M with a dual-battery 24-volt system.

The batteries got a bit low so that they wouldn't turn over the engine, so I put a 10-amp trickle charger on them. The first one charged up okay, but I think I may have overcharged the second.

There was no sign of boiling over or anything that looked wrong, but after leaving the charger on for five or six hours, I came back and instead of a faint glow out of the dash panel lights and a click when I turned the key, everything was completely dead.

I cleaned the connections and tightened them up, but no change.

Did I ruin the battery, or could this have ruined some other part of the electrical system?

What to do next?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not to sure on the dual stuff but you should charge it at 2 amps so you don't ruin the battery .

3. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

10 amp for this is too much it overheat battery. Did you feel battery surface is hot?

For me try drain complete then put on charger that deliver .5 - 1.5 amp and leave overnight it will charge if not then it bad battery.

4. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

to charge a 24 volt system u need a 24 volt charger, sounds like u used a 12 and only one battery was properly charged. u should disconnected both batts and charge them seperatly

5. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

have you checked the water in the batt?

first of all 10 amps is NOT too much,and expesially for a 31 series battery. Dont' drain it completely either........sometimes a batterie wont recover from a complete drain .

you don't need to unhook the batt. to use a 12v charger either......just charge one battery at a time, and hook them up regularly, don't pay any atention to the color of the cable. LOOK AT THE + or - on the batt.

24V charger would be nice but.........i have never owned one, i'd like to but i get along fine with a 12V

you may have a bad battery. and the way to tell is. to

unhook them and then charge them. ......i have seen it many time's that one batt will drag the other one down with it.
    EDIT: i should add.....they need to be charged sperately and checked seperatly.

the front most battery is a PITA to get too on a D-5 so you can actually unhook the rear batt and then kill the master switch and you should be fine.

PJ

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2008
  6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Check the batteries and test like PJ has posted. He knows his stuff about heavy equip.

7. NShel

NShel Junior Member

Thanks everyone.

I have been charging them separately. Sounds to me as if I've fried the back battery as the front one registers on the charger but the back one is zilch. However, PJ, you mention killing the master switch. I didn't do that. What's the purpose? I'm concerned that I may have damaged more than the battery. Any likelihood of that?

8. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

killing the master was just so you could seperate the batt's to test them.

you'll trip the breaker in youre charger before you hurt the CaT.

when you charge them just act as if the machine only has one batt, and dont pay no attention where that cable run's

JUST DON'T CLAMP TO THE MACHINE make sure you get yorue pos and neg right from the batt post

if you do have a bad batt, i would strongley recomend a factory CaT batt. i put 'em in everything, they seem to resist shock better than any other batt that i have ever been around. in fact my PSSR just dropped a few off yesterday. and they were 31 series post battt's and was $198 :eek: but they are good though

PJ