1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I make a mistake?? mvp plow...

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 04hd, Oct 31, 2013.

1. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

Was at the dealer today and a guy whom I know runs all western equipment and I were talking. I told him I got rid of my hiniker straight blade for a poly 8.5 mvp. He told me that I wouldn't like the mvp or the poly. (cracks to easy, snow sticks, valve trouble, center pin issues.) I understand that how the unit is used and cared for has a lot to do with anything. From what I know he's very picky about that stuff. I did some research on here before buying one and didn't seem to find much. My questions would be of the 4 issues stated who has had those problems?? This guy got rid of all v plows and runs straights and wide outs and now going to prodigy's. I see mostly boss v's around here not many westerns or any other brand for that matter. Hope I didn't buy an expensive pile of remorse. Thanks in advance for your time and input. ussmileyflag

2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Did he finish his tirade with "I'll buy it off you for 1/2 what you paid."? Buying a plow is usually the cheapest part of running a snowplowing business. Don't stress over your decision, plow snow with it, be positive and if it becomes a money pit deal it. Feel better?!

3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

That is only one guys opinion on it. Maybe he had bad luck and despises them now. i wouldn't sweat it now.

4. chachi1984

chachi1984 Senior Member

I have an arctic poly that's about 10 years old and never had any problems with cracking.
    also have a ultramount steel mvp and never has a problem so far

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Im with this guy.

If I buy another truck plow it will be MPV My 09 model has been the best with no issue

6. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

I wouldn't buy another western as long as I live. I'm very dissappointed with it. I've had to reweld my receivers because of welds cracking...zero penetration, the ring my pivot bar fits into broke off....zero penetration, had to take back a mount carton because the welds were of very poor workmanship...undercut so bad it went through 1/2 the material. brand new angle cylinder that leaked at the weld around the base....and Western's reply was "we thoroughly check all our parts before it leaves the factory by our quality department..."

And I'm the king of England.

I expect better than that for how pricey this stuff is...

7. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

No he said he wouldn't have a v ever again. For me my plow actually is the most expensive I don't plow much (commercially) mostly my own stuff and couple places that I drive by on the way to them places. I guess at the time of my posting this I was a bit beside myself.

8. Antlerart06

What are you talking about undercut

You must got one made on Monday

9. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Everyday must be Monday or Friday at Douglas Dynamics..

The undercut on the mount carton was way worse.....

undercut.jpg

10. Antlerart06

How old of a MVP is it

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

If it makes you feel better I wouldn't buy anything but a V plow......I have 5 of them, they are all Fishers, but for the most part that is the same as Western.

12. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

My 8.5 mvp is about 7 years old. Love it. Had a straight blade on a prior truck. Will never go back to a straight blade. Have never had any problems with the plow itself. My first hand held controller went bad because they had a problem with the wires inside it being too short and losing contact. Dealer rewired it and it's worked fine ever since.

13. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

We sell way more v's than straight plows anymore. The Wide-out is also great if you have large parking lots, and multiple plow trucks. A person with just one plow truck would want a V as long as the truck is heavy enough, IMO.
    also the new MVP3 has many improvements over the MVP+, so that would fix some issues some people may have had.
    Western has used poly for a long time, back to the poly pro straight plows. The poly doesn't crack, and snow sticks less to it than to steel. Plus you don't have to worry about big rust spots after a few years.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If he thinks snow sticks to poly plows I wonder what his steel one's look like.
    I have 2 MVP Plus and the only thing I have done to them is replace 1 solenoid. No cracks or breaks.

Now I do have an old MVP steel that I got this year on a truck I bought. There has been welding done to the plow but this was on a loaded salt truck so I'm sure when they hit stuff there was a lot of weight behind it.

15. Western1

Western1 Senior Member
    from MI.

I have yet to see any of the poly crack! Currently have a poly that was hit by a car hard enough to total the truck and it didn't crack.

16. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

She's about 6 years old.

17. Antlerart06

Well if you had it for 6 years and you don't like it. Why are you still owning it If I had problems like you said you had, I would sent it down the road bought something else.

I know my 09 is holding up after I did a full inspection on every inch of the plow Tuesday looking for a crack, never found one.

Now I have a 1999 9.2 Boss Vplow I had to fix a few welds but wasn't factory error.

18. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

my MVP plus is 5 years old and all I have ever done is changed the fluid and put a cutting edge on it. I would buy another one in a heart beat.

19. OneBadDodge06

from Iowa

Because I'm not made of money and I don't have $6k hiding in my couch cushions...that's why.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  20. Antlerart06

Well I don't know what to say. I always hold a % back each month for equipment replacement that's in a different account

What are you buying for 6k