1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I just lose my motor/pump?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by terrapro, Feb 3, 2011.

1. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Last job of the day and I notice the plowing moving slowly and my voltage was lower than usual then boom nothing. Had to use the come-along to hoist it up to drive back to the shop.

I can hear the solenoid clicking when I hit the joystick but no movement of the plow. It is a brand new solenoid and ground but could the solenoid be bad even though?

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The pump could be out of fluid. Check that first.

3. MetroplexPlow

MetroplexPlow Junior Member

or even frozen .. As i have found out on my western setup from a shop next door .. They say that its froze on mine - i have to either use Hot water to get it to move - or find a way to heat my loading dock here on the property where i may have to store the truck inside. my thoughts are if i can get the truck inside it may be ok cause its a bit warmer in there then it is outside in the weather. i Have a lot of work to do moving tables in the loading dock to get space to get the big beast inside.

4. terrapro

from MI

Not that lucky. It is full.

Also not that lucky. I was using all morning and it was not that cold out today.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

6. terrapro

from MI

Sorry I didn't notice that thread, been scrambling trying to clean up the snow and fix this expensive hunk of junk.

So you are saying it might be a spent motor? If I hook up jumper cables to directly to the motor and nothing happens it is the motor? If I open up the motor and clean it out might that work or is that just futile?

7. terrapro

from MI

I left out that for the turn signals, brake lights, and flashers do not work. We thought it was because the come-along cable wore through the tower lights but after patching them up they still don't work. Blew the big 30amp fuse under the hood and replaced it two times now. plus a new turn signal relay to no avail.

8. terrapro

from MI

Directly hooked up to battery and nothing. Is there anything I can do before just replacing.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you want it to work- disassemble, check condition of the brushes, armature, check OHM's on windings and if deemed acceptable- clean and re-assemble.

If you want it to work for a long time- replace it.

10. terrapro

from MI

Can I just replace the motor side or do I have to drop the $800 for a new unit?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure you can purchase just the motor. Should be around $200 or so.

Also, give the pump a spin by hand while the motor is removed to ensure its free as that's a good time to do it. Should turn nicely by hand.

12. MetroplexPlow

so you don't hear your pump working at all then ? Then you could be right the pump could be shot .

i am sorta in the same boat as you my Soleniod went on my plow set up and i replaced it to find the replacement is not good . We jumped ours (temp fix) to a toggle switch and now can turn our pump on with that ... now The pump worked and now it won't go up or down / right or left. I took it to a shop next to our property and the genius over there says that the pump is possibly frozen on my truck . And i just bought my plow truck last sunday ($1,650) Truck runs like a champ, the plow has its quirks and i dealt with them til i was unable to opperate the plow now . And now im getting a ear full from the boss about the truck not working . Ugh - can't win - Plow setup 12 yrs old . Truck is a 89 burban . Can't win . Gotta expect some types of problems with a USED truck and plow setup . Esp for the amount you pay for.

I'm hoping the motor isn't blown on the pump ... I am still leaning towards the controller ( i hate it with passion ) i'm thinking that the contacts are busted. Aparently you can buy the contacts and refurbish the controller instead of buying a whole new one for $210 ...

13. terrapro

from MI

But is it just a fluke that the brake lights and turn signals stopped working at the same time? How would a blown motor effect the lights?

14. MetroplexPlow

maybe check your harness grounds, For your lights , sounds like you have a short somewhere.

15. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

I had problem with the bracket for the 13 pin plug. Because the plow/light tower on the 2500HD was right up against the truck where the harness came out/off plow and got plugged into truck had some fairly tight turning radii. The pressure just did not keep the connections strong enough, With no bracket any movement on either harness just moves the connectors to adjust, while with bracket, was fixed firmly and plow side 13 pin would angle and slightly loosen connection.

16. terrapro

from MI

All grounds are brand new and tight. I would love if its a ground but seems its not.

Also have a 13 pin. I do not have a mount for my harness yet(new install) but have taken it apart and reconnected many times just to cover the bases. No movement from what I have seen.

17. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Hmm, My newest plow (all Boss plows) is less than one year old, seal between the pump and motor was shot, fluid leaked into the motor and stopped working, because we were in blizzard I opted to just replace the pump/motor assembly. Similar to what you describe: we had clicking but no movement of the plow.
    Took all of 30 Min. to change out the part, and yes it's not cheap.

18. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Terrapro
    If it is your whole assy Monroe Truck in Flint (Right next to Pauls Shop US 23 and Hill rd) is the cheapest for a whole unit. I need a unit in Dec and paid $605.00 for it, they seem to be cheaper on Boss parts than anyone here in Oakland County. For me its a 30 minute drive. Sound just like mine in Dec, was plowing and all of the sudden it would barley go up and then it was dead.

Mike

19. terrapro

from MI

Thanks Mike. I called them and they said they are out right now but could get one in Tuesday. The price was $571.87 for the whole unit...D&G wanted $404 for just the motor :rolleyes:

Pretty sure it was the gasket/seal between the motor and pump was bad so it leaked fluid in, everything was just coated with nasty black crap. Can I spray break cleaner in there to clean everything up?

20. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

When the brushes wear down they leave the NBC all over too.