1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I just Fry the Motor???

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by smoore45, Jan 14, 2010.

1. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Hey guys, I have a Boss Sport Duty hooked to a 2008 F-150. Well I was taking my plow off today using the Smarthitch system when all of a sudden, there were sparks and smoke between the plow frame and the truck push bar and the motor stopped!!! I hit the switch again and nothing happened, the wiring was still connected so I thought I would try to move the plow with the controller. The relay clicked, but nothing happened except the parking lights would light up.

My next steps are to check the motor manually and then verify that the relay is actually activating the battery side power. I have not had to work on this plow yet since it is only 4 years old. I just check the fluids, connections and make sure she's clean up until this point. Is replacing the motor a fairly easy job or do I need to take this into a dealer?? Thanks.
  2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Sparks from the frame USUALLY are from a bad ground and the power is trying to find a new path and that is at the frame

Clean your ground connections and double check that you have good contact on the black and red power cable truck/plow......that is a common place for bad contact
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Indy has you covered. And also check the cable connections at the motor. Just pull the pump cover off and you'll see them both. Won't be surprised if the ground one at the motor is loose.
  4. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Thanks guys! Sure enough, bad ground in the connector. Funny thing was that it didn't look bad so that is why I didn't suspect it. Well, at least it gave me an excuse(not that I should need one) to take the cover off and inspect everything and clean it up a little. :drinkup:
  5. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Fluid film is your friend. :drinkup: