1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I just change the rates in my area?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dr Who, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

So, I have been following the other people that advertise on craigslist out of boredom.

Yeah, I advertise on it, why not its free and I get more calls from it then I do the lettering on the truck, and its free.

Anyway, last year people advertised 10 bucks a drive, but this year people are advertising 25.00 per drive. This is what I have been posting for the last 3 years, 25.00 for residential drives, and it seams that I have driven up the prices since there are no one advertising less, there are a few at 35.00 but none less.
    Some people have even copied my ads, only changing a few words.I wonder if there getting more calls then me? I hope so, the 4-5 I have gotten are not cutting it, but did I mention its free advertising?
    Sad thing is, I have only gotten one call off the truck, and its cause her and her sons could not do anything with 3 inches of ice on 3 duplex lots....

Anyway, I guess this is a good thing in that the prices advertised on craigslist are consistent, and I am not the high priced guy :) Now if it was just panning out....
    Oh well, I can not expect much from a free scam, I mean free advertising site

2. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I would not mount my plow for $10.00 or drop it in a driveway for $10.00 Let someone else have that part of the business. I use craigslist for some things but not advertising my business. I PAY to advertise in a local newspaper that fits the demographics that I am looking for.

3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I can's see plowing for $10 either.

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

plowing for $10 would barely cover fuel costs to get there depending on how far it is

5. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

60.00 a day for a very small ad per day through the week, 80.00 a day on the weekend No thank you....

Advertising is way to expensive here, I would spend all my profit just advertising for one week with no more snow then we have been getting.

I will stick to word of mouth, lettering on the truck and what free advertising I can get. because putting an ad in the paper these days, well you might as well just set that money on fire since hardly anyone reads the paper anymore in this area anyway...

6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

It wont in my poor ol truck, fuel is 3.10-3.19 depending on what side of town you are on, the north side is cheaper, but my area is the highest.

My 351 loves gas,and to drive across town, no it would not pay for it at all, and I am sure round trip I would g o in the hole...
    That is why I at least charge 25.00 bucks, that way if I have to drive across town, I may make a few bucks after fuel costs. That is until they raise the price of fuel again...

7. JRT

JRT Junior Member

i charge $40 for a non contract customer for a residential drive. 1 time push all my contracts are within 10 min from my house. all gotten from flyers.