1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I get screwed by the dealer service department?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by nhjxmen, Nov 24, 2013.

1. nhjxmen

nhjxmen Junior Member

Hi all,

I don't know about fixing trucks much. I got my tranny rebuilt in my 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 v8 5.9L gas about a month ago. I never tried out the 4x4 until now. It doesn't work! It was perfectly fine before the rebuild. Now the low 4x4 doesn't even work. There's no crunch sound like it's going into 4x4, nor is there a 4x4 light in the dash. Any expert mechanics out there can help me? Did I get screwed by the dealer? Is the tranny rebuild and the 4x4 related somehow?

John

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Shifter on the floor or push button. If push bottom could be connection or bad encoder motor.

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like the linkage isnt hooked up. Probably not a big deal maybe they forgot to hook it back up. If I am thinking correctly its like a 5 min job.

Good luck sorry I am not more help

4. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

My idea would be if the shifter is on the floor.

5. nhjxmen

nhjxmen Junior Member

It's a shifter on the floor, not a button. Sorry I forgot to mention that. I will bring it in tomorrow to the dealer

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Does it feel like shifter is hooked to anything?

7. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

If the light isn't lighting then the shaft isn't moving to engage 4x4, rebuilding the tranny really doesn't have anything to do with the transfer case, hopefully its a linkage problem to the transfer case for you

8. Lone136

Lone136 Senior Member

I heed that same problem some time back. Our Rams have what is called a Cad on the front Axle that locks the 4x4 or front end into 4 wheel drive and also turns the light on so you know it's working. Here is how it works.

A synchronizer in the transfer case spins the front driveshaft up to speed
    The 4x4 shift lever locks into place and engages a vacuum switch
    Vacuum lines swap the High/Low vacuum signals to the vacuum solenoid on the front axle
    The vacuum solenoid (shift motor) slides the splined shift collar
    When the splines on the two axle stubs align, the collar locks into place
    Now that the axle ends are locked together by the shift collar and you have 4WD

I hope this helps. I did away with the vacuum solenoid and wait to a 4x4 Posi-lok

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Its probably just the wire (unplugged) running the gizmo indicated by the previous poster.
    This "glitch" actually suggests a real nice upgrade; since its a manual transfer case, you could put a switch on that wire, and come up with 2wd low range, which can be really nice for moving heavy things around slowly with a lot of control.

10. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

I agree with Lone on this. Once one of my guys was in a off road situation and the brush pulled one of the vacum lines off and presto no more 4wd. If you have a fantastic dealer, he will fix the problem for free or at least say what the problem is and say it isn't connected to his previous work. If you have a bad dealer, you need a new truck. Very few dealers stand behind transmission work for more than 90 days.

11. nhjxmen

nhjxmen Junior Member

Thx everyone for the help. Hopefully it's just a connection that was loose or was not put back together. All your posts have given me so much more information than expected. I love this site. Thank goodness this last storm was sprinkles, or else I might have lost my contract because of this 4x4 stuff.

12. nhjxmen

nhjxmen Junior Member

You were right, the vacuum hose was "clogged" and one of the wires was disconnected even though I didn't use the truck. They tried to charge me $140 and I said I didn't authorize the charge, I could have done it myself, so they lowered it to $85. I'm beginning to wonder why every time I bring it in, another problem arises:

tranny rebuild done, but leaking transmission fluid = $200 for new pan
    pan replaced, but no 4wd = $85 for new hose

...and many other suggested repairs. I don't think I'm goin back to this dealer...Thx everyone for the help.

13. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

So let me get this straight:

You had them rebuild your tranny & they "didn't notice" the rusty pan???:rolleyes:

14. nhjxmen

nhjxmen Junior Member

they said they replaced the gasket. In my experience, when you replace the gasket, you make sure the metal is buffed and even so there's no leaks. They said my pan was bad, I told them it wasn't leaking before I brought it in. I didn't want to deal with it, so I just paid and left. After a tranny build, that's not supposed to happen, right? The pan job is included, right?

15. jasonv

from kannada

I would expect them to at least bring it to your attention that it was on its way out.

16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Some shops do exactly what is on the ticket and nothing more

One person could have diagnosed your truck, but didnt notice the pan. When the person fixed It they would notice it

But if they called you and said you NEED a new pan, Youre going to accuse them of screwing you over

17. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I would agree. The fact that they didn't sounds strange. It's a dealership & there's no attempt for any upsell???

18. jasonv

from kannada

And those shops do not meet my expectations. This is a question of what is appropriate, not what happens to be done by people who don't care.

19. nhjxmen

nhjxmen Junior Member

Okay, thx. This is my first time dealing with a dealer. They did try to upsell me after the tranny build with a sheet of 10 other things. I guess I should have asked exactly what was included in a tranny build. I didn't think of the pan & gasket being a potential problem until it was done. My fault for expecting the best out of a dealer. I live and I learn...

20. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Who is the dealer?