1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I Get A Good Deal??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by shoeman68, Feb 24, 2011.

1. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Bought a 1982 Flatbed, GMC complete resto., 350/400 ,4x4, Dumps, sand blasted no rust, mint interior, simulators. $6000.00

1982 flatbed.jpg

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

border line good or high. but looks fresh.

and its got 89-91 front clip on it. and wrong bumper for 81-82 would have had turn signals in the bumper . but vary comon swaps for these trucks.

3. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

As long as it's mint condition with no hidden problems, it was probably a decent buy. If it's a fresh motor and trans, that would definatly make it worth it.

4. Omran

Omran Senior Member
    from KY

it sounds a little high to me, but it does look really very clean and nice.

5. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

looks like a good deal. you dont see alot of $6k dump trucks in good shape around here.

6. bow2no1

bow2no1 Senior Member

my father bought a 1 ton 4x4 wrecker that was a 88 w/a gm good wrench 454.
    he told me it was a great deal the guy had it painted and did all this work to it.

my farther i no mechanic.....
    once i checked it out, i was like...you got screwed.
    after a year the bondo started popping, and the flaws showed even more, scabbed in cab corners, rocker panels. aftermarket market doors got droopy, they never did shut right.

old Chevy's are cheap and cheap to fix up. especially if you have somewhere to do it.

i'm not saying you got a bad deal, but then again we only have a picture to go on

7. shoeman68

shoeman68 Member

Full disclosure, I'm putting a sander on this truck for next winter. Also, a transfer tank. I need a 4x4, automatic and something that I don't have to "keep chasing" with repairs after purchase. My budget for the project was $4-6K. I talked the seller down $1500.00 already.

I would have loved $5000.00 purchase price, but I know how much it costs to fix the important stuff and still have a decent looking, dependable truck.

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If you are happy and the truck is in good looking shape I see nothing wrong with the price.
    4x4 and flatbed that dumps? Sounds like it can be used year around to me. Heck I spent that much on a V-box and wet system alone before winter, with no truck.

I always loved my old GM's because I could still do most of the maintenance on them myself and there were no computers. I would think about fuel injection on the top end if it has not been done already. Get under it with a creeper or get it in the air for a better look and that will tell a lot more.

Should be able to make your money back in 1 season with it and in my mind that equals a good deal.

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

A 1982 is worth what the buyer is willing to pay as there is no "standard" pricing on them. It looks to be a clean truck cosmetically...I hope its runs and performs as well as it looks. Thumbs Up

10. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Initially it sounded a little high, but after looking at the picture I loved it. If it was done right it should have plenty of years left in it. Problem is keeping the rust at bay on these old pre-galvanized sheet metal trucks. Keep after it, wash it thoroughly and oil the undercarriage, get the most out of it that you can. Then when it rots out anyway you can rebuild it again cheap.

IDEAL plowing and sanding truck. Will outwork one of these comfy tin sh**boxes they call trucks nowadays.