1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I do the right thing:confused:

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wawuce, Dec 18, 2005.

1. wawuce

wawuce Member

I was on my way back from plowing my wife's aunt's house and there was a little old lady out trying to clear her driveway....She waved me over and asked how much to do her driveway. I told her I wouldn't charge her. She says that she want's to pay because of the use of my truck, plowing, and maintenance. I asked her if she has any kids and she says one is in Amherst and the other is out of state. So I told her to consider me one of her kids. I asked her how old she was and she says 90. How can I charge her!! She has a double wide driveway that can hold 4 cars. Gave her my phone numbers and call me when she needs it done. Did I do the right thing?

2. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Did you do the right thing???

ABSOLUTELY!!!

3. oatka

oatka Junior Member

Yes

it's always the right thing to help out someone.

(it also would have been ok to charge her)

but it always is ok to do it free. your call.

4. dunedog

dunedog Senior Member

Actually by 'NOT' charging you may be safer,liability wise.
    :rolleyes:
    When you start plowing and charging you become a 'Pro' in the eyes of an insurance company and you need different insurance and sometimes plates.
    :nod:
    Plus you are really going to get 'Lawncare' mad:nono: :bluebounc

5. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

My mother lives with us now that she's old and retired and widowed. I always send my dear old mum out to stand by the road with a shovel, sooner or later a good hearted soul will plow us for free. Longest I've ever had to leave her out there was like an hour. When she complained she was cold I said, "Jeez, Ma, you could always start shoveling, it makes the time pass and keeps you warm. You want the rest of my hot cocoa?"

JK ;)

6. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Didn't anyone ever teach you, NEVER ask a woman her age!? That's almost as bad as asking a big woman when the baby is due.

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

You did the right thing....I do it all the time.:nod:

8. AlwaysGreener

AlwaysGreener Senior Member

You did a great thing. You need to becarefull if you have clients in that area and they see you plowing her driveway, you know neighbors they all talk. "he is doing her driveway for free why is he charging me" happened to me. But if you have no clients around her, plow away you earned your wings :angel:

9. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

You did the only thing you could.
    I have a "little old lady" who I have not charged in 2 years. I have even gone over and shoveled her drive when it was not enough to plow.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

ROFLMAO:drinkup:

11. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

You did the right thing. I think I have plowed more old peoples driveways for free than all my paying customers! JK:cool:

12. wawuce

wawuce Member

When I went over to do that lady's driveway I knew I wouldn't charge her right from the start. She reminds me of a little old grandma who you can't say no to. I know the rule of thumb about asking the age question. I felt dumb just after I asked her. Hey I was curious!!! At 90 years of age and she's out there with a shovel....I gotta give her credit! I told her I wouldn't charge her. I'll do it every time for free. That's how it should be. I'm 33 and I have my dad who has parkinson's at age 63. Drove tractor/trailer for 40 years. Broke his heart when they said he had to retire. I do what I can for him as much as possible. I don't really plow for the money...although it's nice when I get some. I just do it to help out family or those in need. I think that's why I was put here. It's ok though. I like helping those in need.

13. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

You did a good thng. Good for you!

14. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Yup not only did it make you feel good I bet, but you'd be surprised the buisness you can get from people seeing you plowing it or word of mouth her telling people she knows someone who plows.

15. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Hey you did a great Thing and hopefully you get rewarded someday! Now if you were running a business whole different story! Just remember if you break or cause property damage what will happen? Best of luck!

16. Guy

Guy Member
    from Alaska

Dude, I wouldn't be suprized if she suprises you with a pie some cold day.
    If you brings you food, take it, I don't care what it is.

17. NEAL

NEAL Member

I would have done it for free too. My wife always gets down on me for doing stuff like that but some day when I am dead and she is old maybe someone will plow her drive for free and she will realize that it's a good thing. LOL

18. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Yes

I say you did the right thing.
    I look at it this way....what if she was your mother/grandmother?
    Now what SHOULD happen, is one of her sons should maybe send a few bucks.
    I would just be concerned about any potential liability issues like others have mentioned.
    Are you a Pro? Or just do your own & friends/family?
    I'm curious, because I could see myself in a similar situation.

19. nekos

nekos Senior Member

i have 6 account's set up for next year. < i wish i could take them on this year > an older couple in their late 60's braged to their entire block about the young boy that took care of them and helped them out so much .

NOTE: i guess looking like im 12 does have it's advantages :)

20. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Did you do the right thing... ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

She gets plenty of money from Social Security. COme on! Senior citizens get a TON of money to burn every month!:rolleyes:

Honestly, I would have done the same thing. I applaud you and your efforts:drinkup: Just make certain to let her know not to let anyone else know of your good deed or else you will quickly become the boy scout of the neighborhood.

I plow out a few elderly in my 'hood. I try to do it early in the morning when I know they're sleeping so they can't wave me over to pay me. I don't make a ton of money but I do believe in "Do unto others..."