1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did i do something wrong

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by the dipper, Jan 8, 2008.

1. the dipper

the dipper Junior Member

Hi guys
    I was just wondering if i did or said something wrong in my post. I am new to this site and got zero replies when asking about putting a plow on my dodge. I would appriciate if i did do something someone would let me know. Anyway I have a 2002 1/2 dodge ram 1500 and am looking on adding a fisher 7 1/2 ft plow to it just looking for feedback . My truck is a 4x4 with quad cab and a 5.9 liter eng. I am going to add timbrens and around 450lbs of ballast. any more ideas would be greatlly apprciated. Also i am just going to start off with my home and my inlaws so nothing major yet. am more concerned about th front end beoing able to handle the weight. Thanks Alot Tom

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

2 or 4 wd? If 4wd then add timbrens in front 400-500# ballast in rear, and happy plowing!!!!!!!!!

3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sounds good to me. go for it.

4. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

you should be fine.

5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Welcome to the site! If your first post was about the same as your question posed here (any more ideas?), it may just have been that it was not specific enough to get answers. Don't feel offended or left out. People here are generally very helpful. It's a good group. When there are lots of posts going on, threads can get pushed farther and farther down fairly quickly and missed.

I have a shortbed with timbrens front and helper springs on the rear. I purchased it set up this way and it seems to hold the weight of a 7'6" MM1 well. I like air shocks on a truck so I may add them one day. I can't speak for a quad cab but my 85 went through front axle joints every couple/three years, but I pushed it pretty hard on commercial lots. You should be fine for your use.

I haven't done it yet but intend to. You can take you truck to a truck scale empty and then with ballst loaded and plow mounted and see how your weight distribution is. Being a quad cab I suspect you may want a little more ballast to lighten the front.

6. Misch-Rman

Misch-Rman Member

my 1/2 ton dodge plows the most of the snow we plow you should be just fine - :drinkup:

7. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Just don't get excited and hang an 8611 off of there.:cry:

8. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

a guy that used to sub with me had an 02 or something dodge 1500 and he had a western 8.6" pro plus plow on it and it worked great. he didnt have any timbrens and the front only dropped about 1.5".

9. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Maybe an8611lp.JK You could hang an 8'er on it without hesitating.