1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

did i do ok

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mpriester, Jan 2, 2012.

1. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

western salt spreader model 1000, vibrator, wiring harness, spreader light, variable speed controller, hitch mount. everything works i just need to replace the bottom bearing. $900.00

2. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Sounds like a very good deal to me.

3. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

Thank You and what i think is really nice is he's letting me pay for while doing a little sub work instead of handing over $900.00 at once especially since funds are getting a little tight.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you priced out the cost for the bottom bearing, and factored in the labor of replacing it? If you have kept the total cost below $1100 or so I don't see how you can go wrong. On top of that he is even financing it for you! I think you will end up just fine in the deal.

5. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

the bearing is $36.00, i do all my own work. i have the old one off and am picking up the new one to put on it this morning.

6. Builder630

Builder630 Member

I just picked up a Snow Ex 1075 swing away with the controller and wiring harness for $250. Needed a bit of welding, but it was easy.... I lucked out..

7. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

id say you lucked out. Good Deal. i changed my bearing and so far so good even running bulk salt.

8. Builder630

Builder630 Member

Haven't tried bulk.... Have no vibrator in mine.

9. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

the only problem i had is i can't run a full load with bulk as it clogs the auger so i dump 2 buckets at a time in which weighs about 120 lbs total and it runs fine and i'm smiling as the profit margin is much better.

10. Builder630

Builder630 Member

New to plowing, have never bought bulk. Do they just fill the back of your truck?

11. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i take my trailer and a big tarp and they dump 2 ton on the tarp and i use the other half of the tarp to cover it like a big salt taco then i load from the trailer into 2 big totes with lids in my truck, the totes hold 600 lb each and fill the spreader from there. it sounds like a lot of work but it only takes me 15 minutes to fill both totes. they'll load it in the bed of your truck if you want i just prefer to use my trailer.

12. Builder630

Builder630 Member

Lol a big taco

13. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Do you have much trouble with it freezing? Bulk would save me quite a bit

14. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

it will freeze if its exposed, i use a shovel or a bar of some kind to break it loose if it freezes. it's a little work but at half the price or better compared to bagged i'll sweat a little. i have even thought of loading it in totes and storing it in a corner in my basement. i'm kinda new at this as well so i'm learning as i go.

15. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I run bulk on through my tailgate salter I bult a wood box on a skid and load it up with salt.

16. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i got a call to salt a car lot and noticed that it wasn't throwing salt quite the way i thought it should (this was the first time i salted in the daylight with it) so after i got done and went home i opened the hopper and turned on the spreader and noticed the larger pieces were just bouncing around on the auger so i cleaned them out and turned it back on and saw the auger was turning the wrong direction. i took the motor cover off and it was definitely wired backwards, i reversed the wires per the wiring diagram and turned it back on to make sure it was right, dumped the salt in it that was not flowing and WOW what a difference, it threw salt a good 20 feet on high and didn't waste no time doing it, i think i'll be running it on the 4th light or so for speed.

17. Builder630

Builder630 Member

I wonder if the previous owner had replaced the motor recently.

18. mpriester

mpriester Senior Member

i called him and he said he did but one of his subs used it and must not have noticed it wasn't doing exactly what it should.