1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I discover a New use for Fluid Film?

Discussion in 'Eureka Fluid Film' started by Kubota 8540, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

It's been about a year since I received my sample can of fluid film, and I have used it on all normal applications. Hinge pins, chains, metal parts on my sprayers and salt spreaders, etc. No my sample can didn't do all that. But I was so impressed I did order a case of cans. I'm usually highly skeptical of the claims made by new products, but this product showed great possibilities. I have since re-ordered. It has become my solution to all in a can. Bolt stuck, no problem, hinge pin squeaking, make it shine , no problem. Etc, etc, etc.. Fluid Film.

So a week ago I walk out my back door at my house and about 10 feet away I notice some small black and gold hornets buzzing about, they're about the half the size of a honey bee only much more aggressive. So I carefully check these bees out. They are flying up to my aluminum soffit on the house, landing on the aluminum then crawling to the v notch and disappearing into my soffit. While watching for just a few minutes there are dozens that come and go. So, I fetch two cans of wasp and hornet spray from my garage and approach in a double fist approach and proceed to use the two handed approach while walking by. At the end of my first pass, I feel the cans weight and conclude, they are half empty. The good news is I killed 1 bee? But I have disrupted their acess, and instead of entering they are just buzzing about. Mission accomplished? Only for about 20 minutes until the wasp spray evaporated. Then they were entering just like they had previously. So I empty the remainder of the spray and get the hey away from there. Yep, confirmed, it only last about 20 minutes, killed 2 bees. So suddenly I'm doing the math, 2 cans x $4 for 40 minutes. 12 hours during daylight.....this is not the answer.

I decide I need something I can spray that won't hurt painted surfaces, that won't evaporate and that will stay put once I spray it on. Hey I know? Fluid Film? So I make another trip to my garage, pop the top off a fresh can, insert the small spray tube and approach the bee problem. I spray an inch and a half spray of fluid film across the v notches at the front and back edges of soffit panels and stand back and watch. These bees are NOT having anything to do with this fluid film stuff. They wont even land on the soffit. One week later they have not accessed their nest in my soffit and have quit even trying.

ACCESS DENIED ! :D

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Patent that.

3. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Going to try fluid film today on our bee problems. If that does not work, maybe a sledgehammer??

4. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

If you spray at night when it's cool, they will all be in the nest instead of out and about, and the activity level will be much lower as well.

5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Boy I hope you can swing that thing quick if the fluid film doesn't work! Hahahaha

6. jimslawnsnow

jimslawnsnow PlowSite Fanatic
    from mn

It works for beetles and boxelder bugs too.

7. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

Now wait just a minute.....let me wrap my head around this.....you're talking about current bee problems on a snow plowing forum in January? Al Gore definitely needs to hear about this.

edit: I now see the OP was made earlier. My bad.

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

...and more of them will be trapped in your soffit?

9. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

That's why I sprayed during the day time so that more of them were out flying around and less would be trapped in my wall. They were entering in the v notches in my aluminum soffit then crawling down the electrical wire where it was going thru the top plate. The fluid film didn't kill any bees that I was aware of. But they would not land anywhere on the soffit after I sprayed it with the fluid film. The wasp and hornet spray worked fine until it evaporated after 20 minutes. Last I checked a week or so ago, the fluid film is still intact on my soffit. Definitely no bees present.