1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did I damage my plow system??

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by raypan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. raypan

raypan Junior Member

Ok, this is going to amuse a lot of you veteran plow owners.I bought my first yard truck with a Fisher minute mount electric hydraulic system.First few strorms it worked great.Then I blew the drivers side angle hose after hitting a snow pile with the blade angled.Replaced the hose, then lookd around for the place to fill the fluid.Not checking the fisher website first,(DUH) I saw the alan screw plug on the top of the valve manifold.It was right near where the hoses attach so I thought that was the fill plug.OK OK stop laughing.
    I tried to pour some fluid in, and it took less than a teaspoon and overflowed.I realized it was not the right place.I tried to run the plow a little back and forth and nothing happened so I removed the plug again and fluid spit out along with some air.After researching, I realized where the fluid is supposed to go so I refilled it the right way. The plow raises and lowers ok but side to side is a little slow to respond and does not move smoothly.It moves in short intervals.My question is this,did I damage something by putting fluid in the valve manifold,and if not, is there supposed to be fluid in there?Each time I opened the plug, more fluid would blow out under pressure.
    Did my stupidity screw up my system??????Thanks for any help, and all sarcastic and ballbusting comments accepted willingly.

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Now when you say
    Which plug are you referring to?? The actual Fill hole, or the one that you mistakenly took it for???

If your referring to the later.....

First, confirm this is the actual port that you utilized..

Second, did you put everything back in?

IF THIS IS NOT THE HOLE USED, LET ME KNOW

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. RepoMan207

from Maine

You shouldn't need to remove anything....although I am curious as to where you topped it off lol.

Most likely what is causing your issue is that there is air within the system....from the blown hose.

4. raypan

raypan Junior Member

thanks Ryan,the plug i removed initially to refill the fluid was the alan screw plug that is just to the right of the poppet check valve plug shown on the diagram.When I removed the plug, there were no other parts inside under the plug.Just the plug and a small opening.
    This is where I made the mistake of trying to fill the fluid until I researched and found the right fill plug that is located to the left rear of the motor.

5. RepoMan207

from Maine

I don't think this would harm anything...but leave the incorrect plug alone. By opening it your letting air back into the system....thus being counter productive in resolving your issue.

Top off the fluid using the correct fill hole, now with the plow on the ground work the plow from one side to the other. Do this 10 or so times, then stop and top of the fluid again. Then repeat. It is normal to see air and or fluid when opening the fill plug after the fact. This just means your getting any air out of the system. Do this a few times and see if it improves the operation.

Another thing is, if you can jack the front of your truck up so the plow is at a downward angle while doing this....or even a steep hill. This allows the air to seek an upward path and out of your system faster.

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

You may have tried to put fluid in the cross over relief valve. You need to download the mechanics PDF from Fisher's site and adjust the releif valves. Did the hose blow off cause you hit the pile with the plow or hit the pile with the hose. If you hit the pile with the plow and blew the hose off your crossover relief valve is not doing it's job and may need to be adjusted.
    T.J.

7. raypan

raypan Junior Member

I will do what you suggested and se if that helps.Thanks.Do you know if there is supposed to be fluid in that manifold?The diagrams look like a series of valves and chamber, which makes me think there shouldn't be fluid inside the housing.
    I will keep that plug closed from now on.LOL

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

It's not the cross over...it's merely a vent hole plug that he utilized.

I think a better question would be....if you hit a pile of snow at an angle..with the wing angled all the way over, does it stay angled, or does it adjust accordingly. That would indicate a problem with the cross over relief valve if it didn't.

Where this is an older "yard truck", I would assume (yeah I know...lol) that the hose was just old and when pressure increased in the line it reached it's breaking point.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

There is suppose to be fluid in there. Think of the manifold as a bunch of streets, and the components within being nothing more then traffic lights and intersections. The over all flow is dictated by what functin you request....in some case what functions you don't request.

10. raypan

raypan Junior Member

I hit the pile with the plow, which popped a hole in the hose.The hose never came off, it just blew a hole in it. It seemed like it might be old and worn.

http://library.fisherplows.com/fisherplows/pdf/6395_000392.pdf

according to this diagram, I removed the cushion valve plug on the top of the block,toward the back.The one on the side of the block is a regular slotted screw, the one on the top which I removed is an alan screw plug.

11. raypan

raypan Junior Member

Sorry to post the whole manual, scroll down to the cushion valve section and see that diagram.
    Also, when I first removed the plug,there was no fluid coming out.It wasnt until tried to fill it and work the plow a little that I noticed it filled with fluid. I didnt add anywhere near enough fluid compared to the amount that kept pouring out whenever I removed the plug.A teaspoon at the most went in but after working the plow a little, it just poured out , along with air pressure.
    Maybe the fluid came from me working the plow a little left and right if there was something inside that was damaged???

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Right, but by doing so it corrected itself when you removed the plug again....the excess fluid was forced out. If your concerned about it, go ahead and pull your S Valves out on the side. To do this you'll remove the wires, then the jam nut, slide the coil off, then remove the valve using yet another socket or wrench. While you have them out, inspect all the O rings on them and look to make sure the bores are clean of any debris.

13. raypan

raypan Junior Member

So it is not a bunch of channels that are sealed, the fluid is in the block sort of like a reservoir?

14. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yes and no, the components act like valves..moving the pressurized fluid in a certain manner...or better put; pattern to complete or hold a function.

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

Here is a newer and more clearer Manual as well.

16. raypan

raypan Junior Member

Thanks a lot for your help Ryan.I will try working the air out as soon as we get out of the negative temps. -15 in Townsend Ma this morning,
    One more question, is there any kind of plug to remove that tells you when you are full of fluid or do you just top it off?Do I need to leave a little air space when I fill it?
    The diagram shows no level hole,
    Thanks

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

I typically fill it all the way up until I see it at the fill hole. In fact, when I do my fluid changes, I tear it all down for a full cleaning, then fill the reservoir up all the way prior to puting the motor back on so I don't have to screw around with that stupid fill hole.

On complete flushes (rams & lines), simpy fill them up as you put them back on.

re.jpg

re.jpg

18. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

also did you buy a fisher hose? I have used off the shelf no fisher hoses in the past and had lots of problems like slow movement and blade would not hold angled position.

19. raypan

raypan Junior Member

no, I had them made up at a local company that makes hydraulic hoses, the only fisher dealer near me wanted $40.00 for 1 hose. I paid 30 for both.

20. raypan

raypan Junior Member

I will look again tomorrow but I am almost positive there is no level plug on my setup.and I TOTALLY agree, that fill hole is in the worst possible location.I had to use a pipe wrench, nothing else would fit without hitting the frame or the motor.