1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

did i break my plow??

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by bsteckel, Dec 17, 2007.

1. bsteckel

bsteckel Junior Member

i am new to plowing ... live in northeast pa where we got this nice snow covered by rain .. then it froze .. now is as hard as concrete. my neighbor (widow) could not get down her drive way and asked if i could make some room at the end of her d way for her car .. i reluctanly said yes ... i had to really push and ram the snow a little to get the ice to move. if i went into it with the blade straight, it would push so hard the blade would angle itself to the side. i bounced inside the truck like i was 4 wheeling :( am i losing pressure in the l and r hydraulics? or is this normal when pushing harder than you should? i bought a used snow pro 3000 last year and have plowed maybe 4 times with it. what should i check if anything after i abused it today? i normally am real easy on my equipment (truck included). there are no visible leaks. there is some residue on the chrome shafts of the hydraulics .. they may be leaking there a little, but it is real dark like grease color.

also, what should i check as far as bolts .. the plow seems a little loose on the bolts near the spring on the frame (not the trip springs)
    thanks in advance.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

What you are describing is totally natural to the plow. This is controled by a pressure valve inside the valve body. This system is adjustale and will vary a little bit from blade to blade. More less it is a safety issue built in the pump. Without it you would blow lines for the L and R rams.

If it seems allitle weak you can bring it in to the dealer to have them turn up the pressure release valve.

3. SD40T2

SD40T2 Member

If you are refering to it being "loose" around the pivot points check the bolts, mine got loose and oblonged the holes and I wound up breaking a few of the pivot mounts.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

yes, plows have pressure relief built in so you don't blow hoses. Unless you really overload it and your hoses are old -happen to me last week, hit the corner of a curb pushing back a pile and stopped dead in my tracks and popped a hole:realmad:

that said, hitting hardpack shouldn't do it because unlike concrete, snow does move. I've moved back plenty an icy pile before.

The hydraulic fluid is dark blue (the good stuff at least) so that is what your probably seeing.

The loose bolts, well I don't have your type of plow but my fisher has "play" in it.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes, it's damaged beyond being repairable. I'll be down tomorrow to dispose of it for you.

Seriously, like the others said; just the relief valve doing what it's supposed to do. Your seals may be worn, but just keep an eye on them for any leaks.