1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did i bid this job correctly?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Jguck25, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

I was asked to make a bid on this place up here in NH. It is a new housing development that is just starting and it will be their first winter as a homeowners association. they wanted a quote on plowing just thethree roads that in in the place. they add up to about .75 miles and it is about 14 feet wide. I can mostly just wing it off the the side, but where the roads meet eachother i have to clean it up a lot.
    They wanted a bid on plowing and sand/salting.. I gave them a quote of 175 for plowing and 285 for the sanding and salting. is this too high or too low? I do not want them to think that i was lowballing, but at the same time i wanted to keep it on the lower side...
    im not trying to be mean by saying this, but i know that there are some people who are going to say that it was way too high and i should have basically paid them money for me to plow it :laughing:

2. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

You did not say wether it is by the storm or push... I assume by the push... sounds in the ball park to me..

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds fair to me, maybe a tick high per push. If you plow three times on an 8 inch storm are you charging $525?

4. plowinginma

plowinginma Senior Member
    from MA

I would assume that this is a roadway that has not been accepted by the town? probably man hole covers not quite right.. brand new curb Blah Blah.. Most developers plow there own developments until the roads are excepted.. A good money maker.. but not a contract that you will have for many years when the town does it..

5. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

sorry about that haha it is actually per storm. wit han extra 50 tacked on if it is over a foot.. I think i may have gone a little under by the sounds of it.. it only needs to be sanded at the storms closure though.
    It also does not have any curbs or manholes or anything, just a road so its not too hard, just a little time consuming

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think you are pretty good. You might not make a killing plowing, but you can offset with the sanding. I plow a half mile gravel road, with a typical "driveway area" at the bottom. I charged $90 per storm last year, but I could wait till the end of the storm if I wanted too. There was nobody living there. There is someone living there now that needs to leave for work before noonish. I don't know just how I will charge her yet.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

roads are fast
    seems like a reasonable number to me.