1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did Brutus suffer internal engine/trans damage?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Smitty58, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

If you have seen my post about my truck (Brutus) getting clobbered last week you can lend me some help. I'm still waiting on the adjuster to look at it. I'm concerned about motor ,trans ,drivetrain damage. Since the rear axle got ripped out by the crash ,and basically it went from 55mph to zero real quick ,do you think it suffered any mechanical damage? I have been trying to do my homework and educate myself to get ready for the adjuster. I would prefer they total it ,but I don't know if I have any say in the matter.
    Thanks for any help you can lend.

2. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I would want a new rear end if the truck is not totaled because it could be slightly bent. It is possible that the output shaft on the transfer case it bent as well, but you don't know till you look at it. I would bet that the engine and trans are fine.

3. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

I would check the cases for cracks. It is possible that they could of got damaged.

4. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I can't believe you are still waiting on it to be quoted. That stinks. Most companies will do it within 48 hours now, even on weekends.

As for the repair, the Motor and tranny are probably fine, Maybe the tranfer case could be damaged. Driveshaft are strong in their purpose but relatively weak in an impact. It bent and probably absorbed all the energy. Even after it is priced if they go to repair it and find something it will be covered. Again they need to return the vehicle to pre accident condition.

5. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

The adjuster just called me. He looked at it this morning, finally. His first estimate is $13000 damage. Of course there are other factors that go into deciding whether or not they are going to total it. I would think a $20-21000 truck that has $13000 damage plus all the other stuff they will have to pay would not be worth it. I should have an answer soon.

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I think your right around the number. All will depend on what their formula is. Most companies use comps not Kelly Blue Book, so look in the classifieds and dealer websites to see what a similiar truck is going for in your area.

7. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

my buddies 2001 F150 got rear ended and it was a lot worse then your truck and they totaled his. it looks like your truck has extensive frame damage so it would surprise me if they didn't total it.

8. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

Well they dropped off a check for $13189 to put Brutus back together. I looked at nada ,kbb ,and edmunds and they showed my truck to be $20500. The adjuster used a different source and put a value on my truck at $26850. I think he's nuts ,it stickered for $31200 and now it is 3 yrs old. I said no one would give me $26850 ,he agreed but said that is what they go by. So I guess I'm getting it fixed. The good part is I'm going to put a flat bed on it which is what I wanted to do anyway. Hopefully now I can get it back before the big snow flys.

9. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

sorry to hear that. it is too bad you couldnt negotiate with him into totaling it. they are still responsible for beyond that check too if any further parts replacement is needed and the bill runs higher than that.
    if i were you i would fix it and sell it.

10. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I was hoping they totalled it ,but now we'll just have to see how it turns out. The adjuster told the body man that there will probably be more damage and they will pay for that as well. He also told me if any mechanical problems pop up they will take care of those too.

So now I have to go after them for "dimished value".
    Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this? I would think the value of my truck just dropped several thousand dollars ,and by law they have to pay that. So I guess the game continues ,I'll keep you informed of what happens. Snow is in the forecast for tonight ,I'm thinking I'll rent a bobcat to do my accounts (bummer). Don't want to lose customers ,but really don't want to freeze my tail off on a bobcat either.

11. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Check with the Ins. Company. They should have to give you a rental. while yours is being repaired.

I got hit by a hay wagon, last year did $1400 worth to my truck, They gave me 3 days worth of rental, to cover it while it was in the body shop

12. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

it will never be the same. once you smack up a vehicle that bad, and it gets fixed it will always have problems, squeeks,rattles ect.