1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Did a bit of Damage

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by zabMasonry, Dec 23, 2010.

1. zabMasonry

zabMasonry Senior Member
    from vt

Was plowing out my parents earlier today, and well, hit something.

The fender of a car to be exact. Put a nice dent in it. I attempted to move the car out of the way so that I could plow, at which time I got stuck. I attempted to plow up close to the car to try and drive it out, but as I attempted not to hit a tree behind the car, I swung the loader into the fender. Damnit that was stupid.

Good thing is, only thing I hurt was my pride, could have been a lot worse, So i'm not that bent out of shape about it. I'm going to try and push it back out, although that may not be very successful due the the creasing. I'll try. Next bet will be to try and find a fender off of a dead car at a junk yard. I found the fender blank online for 35 bucks but I suspect that paint would be a killer on that so. . . We will figure something out.

anyways here is the damage. Moral of the story, know where your whole rig is at all times, and use your noggin, it ain't there just to hit on low cabinets.

1223101457a.jpg

2. cubanb343

cubanb343 Senior Member
    from ERIE

That really sucks! But you gotta admit, it's funny

3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

My first year plowing I backed into my dad's mini van, good thing it's old and he didn't care after that experience I'm over cautious..!
    Worst thing anyone who plows can do is be over confident, know your surroundings and expect to react and any moment..

4. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

could have been a lot worse too

5. whiteowl

whiteowl Junior Member

Me too

Don't feel too bad Zab. I was plowing my 3-wide driveway a few years ago with my Wrangler and being too lazy to turn my head around when backing up, just using my mirrors, I backed into the frame of my double wide garage door, knocking the wall off its foundation. Minor damage except for the cracked dry wall inside the living room. It took a contractor and a 60 ton jack and some new siding to put it back in place. Talk about feeling stupid!!! Moral of the story.....I now turn my head around and watch where I am going every timeI back up.

(Glad I wan't plowing a neighbor's home when that happened.) Now, I guess, I can claim to be an experienced plow driver...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  6. whiteowl

whiteowl Junior Member

Me too

Don't feel too bad Zab. I was plowing my 3-wide driveway a few years ago with my Wrangler and being too lazy to turn my head around when backing up, just using my mirrors, I backed into the frame of my double wide garage door, knocking the wall off its foundation. Minor damage except for the cracked dry wall inside the living room. It took a contractor and a 60 ton jack and some new siding to put it back in place. Talk about feeling stupid!!! Moral of the story.....I now turn my head around and watch where I am going every time I back up.

(Glad I wan't plowing a neighbor's home when that happened.) Now, I guess, I can claim to be an experienced plow driver...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  7. lukynskywyrd

lukynskywyrd Member
    from wisc.

salt truck backed into my outbuilding

and took out the wall and my sled that was parked inside. Steel framed bulding too...nobody hurt. Its only $$$$$$!

8. Mabepossibly

Mabepossibly Senior Member

Exactly, time your time and be safe. The snow sure as hell isnt going to leave without you.

9. cole22

cole22 Senior Member

My 1st job after high school my boss told me to back drag this road with a 966c in sand, he said "go fast so you don't get stuck"
    He forgot to tell me about the man hole under the sand about an inch. So flying backwards me not knowing I some how straddled the man hole the bucket hit and before you know it the front end of the loader ended up 8ft to the right on top of a dodge stratus... My boss wasn't happy:gunsfiring: and I was gonna ask for a raise at the end of the day..payup
    You got off lucky!

10. Megunticook

Megunticook Senior Member
    from Maine

Ouch, that brings back memories. It was the second year I had my plow, pulled up beside my wife's car in the process of doing a 3-point turn, backed up with the plow raised. I checked the front for clearance before cutting the wheels, thought I had it but I felt this little tug and heard a sound. Sure enough, the corner of my raised blade caught the little Subaru's fender.

"Honey, the good news is the road's plowed. The bad news is your car needs a new fender."

Fortunately, our insurance policy paid for it. But I felt like a complete tool.

Now I make sure to watch my blade extra carefully when backing up!

11. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Reminds me of the day I found the partial unit of #1 5/4x6x8ft decking with our loader and snow pusher under 18in of snow OOOoooppsss!!! Take it as a lesson and learn from it.

12. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It could have bean alot worse. It was a good lerning experience for you. I bet you will wach were every thing is now.

13. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

I picked off an electrical cabinet while plowing with a dump truck a few years ago. Always used the belly plow, but we had a snow blade mounted instAlled on the front earlier that day.

Forgot about the front blade while turning since it had never been on the truck before that day. Took out the entire free standing cabinet. It housed all the lighting circuits for the yard...

Boss was pissed, made me plow with the open cab end loader the rest of the night :)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  14. sappel138

sappel138 Member

Hey, look at it this way- It's a late 90's model Honda and not a 2011 Jag or Mercedes S Class! That was (to this day) the most popular body style of the Accord. Millions out there. If you can't gently "massage" it out with a fender tool set, I bet you can find a fender cheap at a wrecker yard.

15. i am laughing at all of your comments, only because this is my first year and i have yet to damage anything.. i am sure i will have a story soon enough!! :)

16. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Had a friend that came home drunk; and hit the button on his garage door opener; and in a rum dumb daze just kept going forward . Something wasnt right with the door and it didnt open correctly and hung up about the same level as the top of the hood; and he wound up smashing right threw it; with his plowtruck and then in to the end of the bay where he drove his freezer; right out thru the back wall before he got his foot onto the brake enough to get stoped!!!! OUCH

17. Yooper75

Yooper75 Senior Member

Just wait until you see a site after the snow melts and think to your self I don't remember hitting that.:laughing:

18. Harford13

Harford13 Senior Member

That Sucks

19. hghgrad

hghgrad Member
    from MI

Its definitely an adventure :)

Sometimes a little mistake can teach you a valuable lesson and keep you from doing something much worse. I only plow with a quad now, but the things I learned in a truck have surely stayed with me.

20. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

at least it was your parents car, if is was a customers car or just some local yokle, that fender would cost you about 3-4K after the lawyers got done with you....