1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diamond V?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CT18fireman, Nov 6, 2001.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Saw a v plow yesterday on a truck for sale. Could not stop for a closer look. Had a trip edge design but was not a Fisher. Appeared to resemble a Diamond old style lift frame. Could this have been a old Diamond V I have heard of? Looked very big and heavy sitting on an 80's Chevy One Ton Dump. Anyone have any knowledge of these? I will try to get back for a closer look this week.

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Probably one of the Old Diamond V-plows.

Geoff

3. plowguru

plowguru Junior Member

If it's a Diamond "V" it will have horizontal "torsion" springs, "trip edges", flared wings (higher on ends than middle). They came in 8' and 9' designs, most likely with belt driven hydraulics.

Post any other questions you mnay have and I'll try to answer.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I want to go back and take another look mainly cause I have never seen the plow but would be interested in it. The truck did not look worth any money. It had a lot of rust and rot. May be worth it for the plow though.

5. GeoffD

The trouble with the Diamond V is it weighs like 1000 lbs or more. Ya need a F 550 just to hold the thing up.

Geoff

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Geoff.

You ever run one? What were they made for? Looked like a real heavy duty plow. Wonder how complex the hydraulics are to operate a belt driven V. Do they have dual cylinders like Fishers? I know nothing about them and an e-mail from Diamond told me they no little either.

7. GeoffD

I have never run one, However my dealer knows them inside and out. You still see them in use in Maine.

My Diamond dealer is a Meyer/Diamond. However if you want to buy an 8' Meyer, you will walk out with an 8' Diamond. He doesn't think verry highly of Meyer, and refused to sell Meyer's V-Plow.

Geoff

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

So he sells Diamonds and services Meyer blades? The rest is basically the same now. But yest I can see why he would steer towards the Diamond blades.

9. GeoffD

Nah,

The guys has been a Diamond Dealer for many years. He was a Diamond dealer, when Diamond wasn't even owned by Meyer.

Geoff

10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

So who made the first hinged V plow?

I have found that in 1964 (filed in 1960), R. M. Ulrich was awarded patent #3,157,099 for a hinged, hydraulically operated V plow (both sides independent, V, inverted V, angled, and straight)

In 1978 (filed in 1976) Wally Niemela patented (#4,074,448) virtually the same idea, only his was a snow plow. Being that he lived in Chassell, MI, I assume he is the one that sold the rights to manufacture it to M. J. Electric, Inc
    So, which plow manufacturer actually made the first hydraulically operated hinged V plow? Not a non-hinged V.

11. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

According to the Fisher history book Bob Verault approached Fisher with the idea in the early 70's. When Fisher did not take the idea he formed Diamond snowplows. Now I am not sure when they made the first V, but if it is why he built the company I would think they made one pretty soon. Maybe Geoff can find out more. Current Diamond personal are not really that informed about the pre-Meyer years.

12. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

follow up on Dave K's post

Dave, just wondered if you know that Wally Niemela and his family are the same ones who now produce the Blizzard Plow. Word has it that Wally Niemela introduced the design for the 810 Blizzard power plow and Boss wanted nothing to do with it, thus a few years later you have Blizzard (the company). Small world in the plow manufacturing business.

13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

No kidding.

And I think most of them claim to be the first ones to ever make a snow plow. :)

So, I wonder if Boss is wishing the would have gone with it? Most great ideas come from individuals, not corporations.

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

From what I hear the Blizzard plow is pretty much a dud. I think that it is true that ideas come from individuals but today you need more than an idea. The Blizzard is a good concept but how does it hold up to plowing. Maybe Boss was smart to pass on it.

I think another small company has developed an excellent idea. Pathfiner plows and their springless trip edge. I know a guy that runs one and has excellent results. The only reason that I stay away is that I have sort of a Fleer concept in terms of plows. I run Fishers and I feel that staying with a brand is important in terms of service and compatablity.

Still new ideas are constantly arriving. I feel that we may see alot from plowmakers both large and small in the near future. Whenever I think we have seen the best there is improvement. An example would be the Minute Mount II by recently introduced by Fisher.

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Well I brought the truck home today. Paid $1000. Truck is shot. Rotted and Broken. I figure the money was worth it for a dump hoist and the Diamond V!!!. Not sure what to do with the plow yet but excited to just play with it.

I will be pulling it off this weekend and then the truck goes to the junkyard on Mon. Not sure if I will be able to get a mount for a Ford. The mount does look the same as a regular old style Diamond. May have to adapt a mount then use the plow and hydraulics. Time will tell.

16. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

CTFireman

Tell me about that chevy truck
    Details ?
    age?
    Model?
    etc.?
    how rotted ?

I am looking for a project.

17. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I really need to get my scanner working... I have a brochure for the Diamond-V that I picked up at the Big-E many years ago when they first came out... I'm willing to bet the mounts for the straight blade is the same as on the V... I had an 8 foot Straigh Diamond on my 89 chevy and the frame had an extra set of holes in it fot the other hoses... about the only different I can think of would be the control valves.. I knew a guy that had a diamond-V and he loved it.. He sold RV's and it was great for clearing out the aisles...