1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diamond spreader question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snow white, Oct 23, 2005.

1. snow white

snow white Member

i have a contract plowing salting a stretch of highway around a toll station,i plan on using a f-450 with 9' blade and a new diamond 5 cu yd spreader with in cab controls. it has a 10.5 hp briggs engine. should i worry about cold starting, seems like a small engine for such a large spreader.will it do the job,will belts be an issue,will or should i trade it in and get a hydraulic version..response please season is close...

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have to agree that is a large salter. We have a 4.4 cubic yd. on a 3500HD and we can only fill it 2/3 full. Ours is hydraulic and if you have the money they a great. If you have the inverted V inside the salter then most of the weight will be taken off the track and the gas engine should be fine. We found with the inverted V installed the salt did not flow very well and we have removed all of ours. Do you have a screen for the top of the salter? Large chunks of salt will bend the links on the drag chain on clog the salter.

4. snow white

snow white Member

its actually a 8.5 diamind md2,i have five extra rear springs in the overload ,it is a brand new 5 cu yd diamond salter,i use the 2 on my f-250 which is beefed up spring wise so i figured this was the right choice ,dealer agreed....i guess my question is will the 10.5 hp engine start good in cold weather and will the belts wear,yes i have a screen on top...it is a mdv diamond spreader.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I would love to see a picture of your truck with this v-box on it. I have a S.S. Diamond MVP 3.5 yard on an F-450 with a 9' Fisher which I thought was huge for the truck but I am working on a college campus so I don't travel over the road with the v-box loaded. I did put timbrens on it. I start spreading and decreasing weight as soon as I leave the salt pile.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=7389&highlight=gordyo

6. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I use a full size car battery[instead of a small gel]and synthetic oil.No problem starting any of my sanders.Diamond is a good plow,but we put 9fts on my f350 pickups i think the blade is to small and the sander is to big.I understand you have the extra springs but do you have bigger brakes or a heavier frame and with that truck loaded you are way overwieght making more difficult to control your rig

7. snow white

snow white Member

i seen your pictures of your truck my spreader looks to be same size,my truck sits higher as i have 3 leafs in front and @ 10 inrear

8. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

HOLY CRAP i saw the pics you will NEVER PUT A BIGGER SANDER ON YOUR 450 then gorgyo has

9. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Ok your truck sits higher and way more top heavy[sorry saftey first i'm a fireman and have been to way to many mva extracations and rollovers]

10. snow white

snow white Member

i will definately keep an eye on things when loading my spreader..i had a local spring shop beef it up and it was a common setup they put under my truck,the same spec as a lot of municipal / city trucks.i guess my question is reliability of salteras the truck size and salter size can be monitored,and not overloaded,the section of highway is only 1/4 mile in each direcction 3 lanes so speed will be reduced andtrucking of salt is 3 miles

11. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

You should be fine with the engine. The only thing with mine is the choke is very tempermental. It is very easy to flood mine real fast. Have not had any problems with starting it for the most part now that I know to back the choke off quickly. The biggest problem that I have is that the gas tank is just way too small for this size sander and it runs out of fuel to fast. It is the same size tank that you would find on a 21" lawnmower. I have to carry a 5 gallon can with me and I am working only on a college campus so that shows you how small the tank is. I have been contemplating figuring out how to mount a bigger fuel tank somehow.

12. snow white

snow white Member

my info on the spreader must be wrong as it looks to be the same as gordgo...
    or the 5 must be something other than cu yd measurement......sorry for confusion,as far as rollover as quoted by ,the rear setup is in overload spring so it doesn"t come into use until loaded as far as front it is only a few inches higher....back to question is this a reliable gas powered setup or should i opt for hydraulic

13. snow white

snow white Member

gordyo i had the same thoughts on the tank what we did was take a plastic tank of a coleman generator built a bracket on top of engine cover piece and tee d the line now we have 5 gallons yet to try but it should be better,gravity feed and it sits above engine on the hinged cover

14. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I was considering mounting one ontop of the cover except it would make servicing the engine a little harder. I was thinking about picking up a 6 gallon fuel tank for an outboard motor and mounting it ontop of the cab protector and running a fuel line down the side of the v-box. That way I could run at least a few weeks without refueling. I am guessing that the original fuel tank is only about 2 qts on this engine. The engine is reliable as far as that goes. If I had the option I would go Hydro but Mine is now two seasons old and works fine. I would have preffered a Honda engine but this was the last unit I could get that year as they were all sold out of this size spreader and I had to take it with the Briggs.

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you have the money to go hydraulic, then that is the way to go. I have 2 gas salters and 1 hydraulic. Just make sure you have the truck you want. It is not an easy thing to move from truck to truck. You will have holes cut in the floor of the truck and the clutch pump bracket is expensive. Do you already have this salter? Filling the gas salter in the Ford might take a ladder. We have one in an 89 Chev 3500 with extra springs and you can not see the top of the gas tank. You have to climb into the bed of the truck but there is a chain on the corner to hold the salter down. This makes it hard to see and of course it is slippery also.

16. snow white

snow white Member

gordyo the tank i installed still alows me to lift engine cover its just a little heavier when full of fuel ,i have bought the spreader cet but an employee is making me wonder if i made theright choice,i never had any problems with 2 c yd gassers in the past

thanks for allthe responses just getting those preseason jitters,after a new purchase with no trial time