1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diamond push plates

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jslawncare, Dec 10, 2008.

1. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

Trying to figure if this plow will fit my 2wd 78 gmc 3500 dump.
    its supposedly off a 2wd 83 gmc 3500 dump

ive got some help in another post but figured id post my new questions here.

now 4 my stupid questions

1) would 2wd and 4wd be the same?

2) When mounting the push plates does anyone know if the plates should fit right up with no obstruction or is it necessary to remove parts then reinstall.? Seems like sway bar and some sterring suspesion stuff is kinda in the way. they look like they would fit if stuff was not in the way.
    3) Is it normal to remove stuff then reinstall to get the plates into position?

ive never installed a plow before

1 GUY SAID IF ITS CLOSE ENOUGH JUST MAKE IT FIT AND WELD IT... YES/NO

2. m2low

m2low Member

2wd and 4wd of those years frames are the same...

close enough and weld it might work int eh back, but in the front where the steering is going closer and farther out from the axle (4x4) its not a good idea, it will rub on the steering - 2wd I think is about the same, steering rod is on the front of the crossmember... I would say this needs more planning than just hold it in place and weld the sh!t out of it... seems to backyard for me but maybe it works for some???

3. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

thats what gets me nervous. this isnt a case of weld it and forget it.

guy from diamond is telling me 2w and 4w are totally difffernet frames and they didnt make a mount for 2wheel for my truck.

u know of anywhere i could get some documentation saying its the same?

4. Dennis p

Dennis p Junior Member
    from ohio

I would not weld it at all!!

If you can't figure out how to Mount it with existing holes...you may have to locate the proper brackets for your truck...you should not have to relocate any steering or suspension componants..as this will throw out your alignment..find a truck with the same mounts and copy...TAKE PICTURES IF YOU NEED TO....welding on a frame..will tend to crack it at the weld under stress...and plowing puts a lot of stress on the mounting brackets..You want it to be safe as well as functionable.

5. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

no no not relocate just remove to get the plate in position. then reinstall in same spot

6. Dennis p

Dennis p Junior Member
    from ohio

Sometimes..you have to

If the bolts are long enough...and nothing gets relocated..then whats the problem?

7. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

just not sure if thats normal! basically it "LOOKS" like it would fit. but i cant get the plates where they need to be because some suspension stuff is in the way.

if i removed that stuff it again looks like i could get it where it needs to be then hopefully the suspension stuff would go back up in stock location.

just figured id find out if thats norm or not before i waste time under the truck

8. Dennis p

Dennis p Junior Member
    from ohio

Good luck

Tape measures save lots of time also....

9. m2low

m2low Member

do you have a picture of your truck? or one like it online link to? if its the same as the C10 bodies, just a different frame for the dump, 2w and 4w are the same frames... the rails are the same rails for both...

10. m2low

m2low Member

11. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

no thats huge. mines a 3500 series 1 ton like a pickup

12. m2low

m2low Member

if the above is like your truck thats way different than the standard trucks I am used to for chevy's looks like only the doors are similar, and I cannot be sure that the frames are the same, I was thinking of the smaller trucks - its clear to me that your dealer may be correct in the frames being different cause he might know more about these trucks than I do, but I would measure the width of the frames and see if the mount will fit with some minor modifications.. sorry I was thinking smaller sized trucks on that, forgot about those large trucks.

13. m2low

m2low Member

ok so its not the huge trucks, than the frames are all the same, its whats bolted onto the frame (leafs vs control arms etc) that makes the difference. I am still trying to find a refernce of frames on those years of trucks.

14. m2low

m2low Member

15. m2low

m2low Member

16. m2low

m2low Member

17. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

18. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

my plow setup looks nothing like that. let me see if i got pics on this cpu

19. jslawncare

jslawncare Member

20. m2low

m2low Member

that is about the same thing, just a little older, rather than deal with the under the frame stuff, push plates etc, I just found a newer style plow mount and cut off the hoop parts that hang below the frame, its 2 mounts cobbled up as one and works great! nothing under the truck.. is it money your looking to save, would $300 for the plow mount be to much to do? or if money is not an issue, than get the newer style classic mount with the newer hoop - your truck is the same frame bolt holes as the one the mount came off, so if you get everything from teh previous owner it should bolt right up...

as said before by someone, welding to the frame makes it brittle and more able to crack, these older trucks are already old so ini my honest opinion I would find the newer style classic meyer mount and use that - meyer and diamond are the same thing.