1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

diamond pump freezing up!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steve in Pa., Jan 18, 2004.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

Is anybody using diamonds havin this problem. I know drain the fluids , ect. ect. ect. Did all that at the end of the year last year. Even drained the power angle lines and cylinders, blew them out with air compressor, drained the fluids blew out the lifting hoist. I'm tired of dealing with this s*it every time it gets below 20 degree's. Have to use a heat gun to unthaw it when i want to use it. Is there anything that you can put in to prevent freezing? I was thinking of mixing in rv anti freeze?

2. Nfd9606

Nfd9606 Junior Member

Steve,
    What brand of fluid you using? I would recommend only using the Diamond/Meyer fluid specifically made for those pumps. I had mine freeze up in the 30" storm we had back a few months ago. Changed out the fluid and it has been fine so far. Is it freezing up completely or is it just doing it on one motion only (left,right,up)?? I had it only do it on one only (left). Hope you make out ok!!

Brian

3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i would recomend changing the fluid at the beginning of the season not the end. Use a good quality hydraulic oil recommended for plows.:D

4. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Mine was freezing in the 0 degree weather recently. I suspect it wouldn't do that if I used genuine Meyer fluid; I used cheap stuff most recently (it was all I had and I didn't have time to go get the good stuff). I added some isopropyl alcohol gas line anti-freeze (DryGas). It will probably destroy all the seals and gaskets and such. I'm going to overhaul everything in the spring anyway...