1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diamond Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stiffysteele, Feb 12, 2004.

1. stiffysteele

stiffysteele Junior Member

I've noticed most people around here recommend using Boss plows or Western, I've been thinkin of gettin a new plow and was lookin at a Diamond. I do only residential stuff, I have a 2002 F250 PSD, With the code x springs, I was thinking a 7.5 diamond poly. Any Advise on a new plow for this type of vehicle, and your reasons why would be most appriciated. I'm just trying to make sure I am making the best choice possible. Thanks for your help.

2. stiffysteele

stiffysteele Junior Member

Sorry I'ts also a Crew Cab if that makes any differance.

3. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

I've been plowing for years. I've literally have destroyed plows in the past. I have never seen a better plow design than the new Diamond MDII....I love it and I can't hurt it...Its simple yet very effective...
    I would go with a steel 8 foot bottom trip system MdII...I have the X springs and they go down about 1/2 inch.....Gotta go throw some snow:waving:

4. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

i have a 7'6" diamond plow, can't complain about it too much. went through a period when it would continue to freeze up. But since draining and allowing the entire system to dry out it has not froze up once. Its a very heavy well built plow. the only thing i don't like is that the pump and plow is made by myers. We've had ours on for about 6 years now with very little repairs to it. I would not buy another one though. too slow compared to westerns.

5. LockedUP

LockedUP Senior Member

Mine is a new unit and its very fast...

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Go 8 or 8.5 foot. Skip right over the 7.5's, they're too narrow on full angle.

Nothing wrong with Meyer hardware, you'll have NO PROBLEM finding parts if you need to.

The E-57's and E-60's are FAST.

The Diamonds always had a nice aggressive curvature to the moldboards.

7. ClintSinger

ClintSinger Junior Member

We have a new MD2 and it is very fast and the only issue that we had so far has been the down coil shorted out twice however there is a new type coil out for it that has fixed the issue, the old coil is square and the new one is round like the other two. now it works fine. another issue that I just thought of has been loosing power every now and then however this was fixed by recoating the plug with di-electric grease and tie rapping the plug tight.

8. crashz

crashz Senior Member

Had a 8' Diamond on my 83 in my sig. Probably the toughest plow ever built. Only problem was the wieght. It was heavy and solid, and all the abuse was shown in the truck, not the plow.

On the flip side the Diamond cleaned the best. Hardpack and ice would peel right up. It stacked well and I never had any problems with it. It was an old design with under hood hydraulics.