1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diamond Plate

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by fordkilla454, Dec 10, 2000.

1. fordkilla454

fordkilla454 Junior Member

Has anybody tried to install diamond plate as flooring or along the rocker panel in a K20 for protection. Thought about riveting some of it to the floor on top of dynamat for easy cleanout with a water hose.

2. Psyclopse

Psyclopse Member

I wouldn't do it on top of Dynamat if you plan on hosing it out regularly. Water will find a way to get under the diamond plate and start rusting. I'd bet that the Dynamat would retain water for a while after the rest of the truck dries out.

First, I would take care of any rust that you might have, then use an undercoating or liquid bedliner- something that would seal the metal to keep water away, then lay down the plating.

One word of warning- if you are putting the plating in to cover a big rust hole, DON'T. I've had lots of friends do all sorts of creative things to cover a hole- wood, speed limit signs, etc. Sooner or later the rust hole gets bigger and that stuff will fall out.

3. fordkilla454

fordkilla454 Junior Member

No the floor isnt rusted but the vinyl is all torn and cracked so I was trying to think of an inmnovative way to cover the floor. The diamond plate seemed like an easy solution. I thought of the dynamat to possibly deaden road noises but like you I thought about the water getting in it and staying wet. I may just go with the diamond plate and dynamat and just stick with good old vaccuming. I think with just diamond plate water would get under it anyhow and go back to rusting the floorboards.