1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diamond or Fisher

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mtfd774, Feb 10, 2006.

1. mtfd774

mtfd774 Member
    from conn

Hey everyone
    Just looking for opinion . Is there a major difference between Fisher and Diamond. I can place a Diamond 8' on the md2 i have now at little charge, or should i replace with a Fisher or something else
  2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Thats like saying chevy--ford --dodge!If you can get parts for it-and what you can't fix yourself-- someone can(local shop) stay with what you got! In our neck of the woods --Fishers are about 90% of the plows, so all the plow shops work on them and have parts readily available! Diamond had a local distributor for about 5 years , a couple of years back(they still sell the m brand)--- And they sold well and owners liked them(about $500 cheaper than the Fishers), but I don't see too many lately! I have seen a couple of boss's around on newer trucks!
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  3. CJC

CJC Junior Member

I've owned several Fishers, and they have been great. I have a Diamond now and am very happy with it as well. I think the Diamond blade may be a little stronger because it seems to have more reinforcement, but the controls on the Fisher are better. Bottom line from someone who has owned both is that it's a toss up, so whichever of these is easier and less expensive for you get (and has a dealer that you feel good about) would be the way to go.
  4. mtfd774

mtfd774 Member
    from conn

I've used fisher before and they're a nice unit . I haven't used a Diamond . I heard they used to be manufactored by former Fisher employees. Just wondering if anything has change since meyer bought them out
  5. mtfd774

mtfd774 Member
    from conn

Hey thanks guys for your imput
  6. CJC

CJC Junior Member

They use a Meyer mount, controls, lights, and hydraulic power unit, but the blade and frame are completely different. The Diamond is a trip edge type like the Fisher. I had a regular Meyer blade a few years ago (the kind where the whole blade trips) and I hated it. It was always folding down and dumping the load of snow. It was also too light. The Diamond has none of those problems, and cleans as well as the Fishers that I had. The only real issue that I have with the Diamond is that I don't like the control pad. I find it inconvenient to use, and the idiots put a PVC jacketed cable coming out of it, which is as stiff as a board when it's cold. It should be a nice soft coiled cord. In fairness, I've been hand holding the control, which it probably isn't really designed for. I have to find some time to make a nice bracket for it, and those issues will go away.
  7. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

Just my opinion but, having used both diamond and fisher, I think I prefer the Diamond. That is the brand that was on my truck when I bought it - a 7.5' on the MDII mount, and it has performed well and I has some features that I prefer including the touchpad controls! The fishers are fine, and this is what the company I sub for once I'm done with my accounts uses. My biggest complaint, the 7.5' RD blade seems a bit light but I'm no expert.

Having said that, If I were to buy a new plow for my truck I would buy a Fisher...why you ask after hearing that I prefer the Diamond...well I'll tell you, like douglasl330 said, where I am, the vast majority of plows that you see are Fisher, and every auto dealership in town sells and services them. The closest Diamond dealer/servicer - a 30 minute drive - real comforting to know at 3 in the a.m. when you might need a part!

So my suggestion buy either but make sure that the dealer/parts/service network is well established in the area that you plow in!
  8. snobeast

snobeast Junior Member

I have the only Diamond in a company full of Fishers we have mm 1 and mm 2's I really really like my Diamond seems much stronger than the fishers

Just my 2 centspayup
  9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'm not sure if they are the same now but when my friend bought one in 03.
    I hated the single connector not making contact and causing the plow to angle instead of going up! I HAVE A PATCH IN GARAGE WALL TO PROVE IT!I also couldn't stand the need to remove the jack, put it under the plow crank it up to remove it.
    No thanks I really hated installing and removing it! Fisher all the way for me!