1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diamond Cutting edge

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by jmorgan71587, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jmorgan71587

jmorgan71587 Junior Member
    from pa

Ok picked up a used Diamond 8 foot plow this summer and getting it ready to go.The past owner installed a carbide cutting edge which is 2 4 foot sections, he then put the old cutting edge on top. Is this need. The trip edge and both cutting blades weighs over 300 pounds. I would like to take the old edge off and just leave the carbide one on to reduce weight and stress on that A frame as i did find 2 welds cracked on it once i had it sand blasted.

2. tastebeer

tastebeer Member

It is a good idea to have a cover cutting edge over the carbide blade. Carbide is brittle and is easily broken, the cover will protect the carbide from breakage. Most DOT's and municipalities that run carbide will place a mild steel cover over the carbide cutting edge.

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Diamond plows are heavy anyway. I have run my cutting edge which is 5/8" for years. It has lasted many seasons and is one piece. I guess it would be owner preference.

4. jmorgan71587

jmorgan71587 Junior Member
    from pa

this cutting udge isnt completly carbide tho it looks to be about a 1 thick total with about a 5/16 carbide strip down the middle

5. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

the reason for that is carbide will wear much slower...but they are more fragile...as in they will break if you smack something hard...thats why they put another edge behind it