1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Diamond 8' on 2003 Chevy 2500 HD?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GesnerLawn, Dec 11, 2003.

1. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I'm looking into gettting a plow for my 2003 Chevy 2500 HD. I'm tired of working on my 85 Chevy and 7.5' Fisher in my driveway during every storm!

I've narrowed it down to either the Fisher 8' HD or the Diamond 8' with the E-60H lift. I'm leaning toward the Diamond. It seems to be very heavy duty and the dealer is closer and seems more eager to please than the Fisher dealer. The Diamond is $250 more, but I'm not really worried about that.

Any comments on this plow/truck combo?

2. Huften Lawn

Huften Lawn Junior Member
    from CT

Curtis!!!!!!!!!!

3. SnowLane

SnowLane Senior Member

I would go with the Diamond since it seems that you are happier with the Diamond Dealer than the Fisher Dealer. Service is what matters most.

4. PushIt

PushIt Junior Member

I have run a Diamond 8 on a company Chevy 2500 HD. It was a great combo. I'd get the Diamond in a second. And I have never read a post on this site that didn't have good things to say about Diamond.

5. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I should probably give a little more background. I do mostly residential with one industrial lot and one small commercial. I'm solo and don't have a spreader yet. I'm looking to expand into commercial plowing more in the future.

There are actually more Curtis dealers in my area than anything else. Maybe I'll take a look at them today.

6. Huften Lawn

Huften Lawn Junior Member
    from CT

Gesner, I would definitely check out the curtis. I used mine for the first time last storm and it worked great. I looked at every plow before making my decision and confidently went with Curtis. The hook-up is the easiest on the market. The design is great with fast hydraulics. Full trip blade(with stops) puts less stress on the vehicle. Has very aggressive attack angle which will back-drag better. Man, I sound like a rep from Curtis! Hey, good luck and any questions i'm from NW CT.

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Go with a 9'

Geoff

8. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

get the diamond snowplow without a doubt. fisher and curtis make great plows but i like the diamond much better. get a 8ft-9ft on your truck. remember to have timbrens installed:)

9. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

diamond is a great plow. we run all meyer and diamonds. the meyers were on our older trucks. all the 95's and above have an 8, 8.5 or 9's diamond son them. On my 450 crew cab I have a 9' which is great for the commercial property I maintain. If I were to put one on my personal vehicle, (a 250) it would prob. be an 8.5' diamond. The 9's are pretty heavy, although I think an 8.5 might be a good choice. at other jobs, I have used fishers which also worked well. but go for dealer with service in mind.

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

diamonds are good plows made by meyers and i think western makes a good pro plow

11. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

8 footer too small?

Do you guys really think an 8 foot plow is too small for the truck?

I could see putting an 8.5 footer on it, but 9 seems too big to me. I have a hard enough time maneuvering on some of my residential accounts with the 7.5, but the 2003 truck seems to turn tighter, so maybe I could manage with an 8.5.

Since my original post, I looked at the Western line too, and now I think I want the Pro Plus. I like that it has factory wings available and the back-drag edge, but not sure I want a full trip plow. I see guys around here struggling with them because we get a lot of wet snow storms being on the coast.

I've also toyed with the idea of getting a V-plow, but am concerned that it won't be as reliable as a straight blade.

Decisions, decisions!!

12. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Western makes a trip edge plow as well, so you may want to look into those.

13. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

Must be new, because it's not in the brochure I have.

No comments on putting an 8.5 or 9 on my truck guys?

14. ebaron

ebaron Senior Member

I ran a 7.5 Fisher and now have a 8' Fisher on my '03 GMC HD. It is a bit tighter on residentials (that's all I do though). The extra height helps for the bigger storms.

IMO an 8.5 seems big for residential, but I guess it all depends on the accounts you have.

15. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I know that the Western V plow has a trip edge, and I thought that they also had it on one of their straight-blades as well. I just looked on the web site, and only found the trip edge on the V though.

16. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

go with a 8ft or 8.5 it'll be just fine. 9ft is what i would run but i do big parking lots and roads