1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Dextron or Blue Hydraluic Fluid

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by 2dogs2, Aug 27, 2007.

1. 2dogs2

2dogs2 Member

Just wondering what is best, Dextron or the Blue Hydraulic Fluid for a Western Mark IIIa ? My buddy told me he had lots of problems with Dextron freezing in the sub zero temps, and would never still it in his pump again.

Is there any problems with putting the blue stuff in if you previously had Dextron, since it would be next to impossible to get all of the dextron out?
  2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Freeze up with dextron is not an issue, that would be caused by di-hydrogen monoxide (H2O) in the system, dextron will slow the pump due to thickening, at low temps the heating and cooling effects cause the paraffins to separate causing even more problems. Replacing the dextron with a low temp. hydraulic fluid will increase the performance of your plow. The cheap blue stuff is an improvement but even better is someones quality snowplow fluid. They contain lubricants and cleaners the cheap stuff doesn't have. I've had freezing problems with the cheap blue fluid, try a name brand. they have to be better their name is riding on it and they sell on more then price. They are all compatible with the gaskets and seals in your pump.

Try draining the unit, pull the motor off and siphon or sop up what is left in the housing.
    Then run a qt. of Meyer hydro-flush though it. Meyers Hydro-flush is compatible with everything. Drain and clean again, now fill with meyer, western, boss, or snoway's Premium hydraulic fluid.

You're pump will run faster, draw less amperage, and be less susceptible to freeze up.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ditto what Basher said.:nod:

Make sure you drain the old fluid out of the rams and hoses too.
  4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

in my western i use atf fluid sometimes i synte tranny fluid