1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Developer Called Before they paved the lot :)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GeoffD, Aug 26, 2001.

1. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Well A new min mall is being built in my service area, owned by one of my other clients.

Well before they paved the lot and put down the curbing, he asked if I could come out and look it over.

Well we walked to lot, changed the radius of some of the turns, made some sections bigger. The best change of all, is there are 4 places with no curbs that exit out into a large grassy area. This gives me plenty of places to store snow this winter on this lot.

Anyone else been lucky enough to have this happen?

Geoff

2. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a very good relationship to have with your customers. That's exactly what I'd like to achieve someday...

Tim

3. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I have made the offer of "free" consultation for just this service. In 20 years, 3 people have taken me up on it, and made design changes. The balance (about 30) have gone on with either their own plans or those of the landscape architect. Results on their own efforts usually look spectacular in the summer, but after a few years of frustrated plowing, the curbs look beat up and the whole job is not what could have been.

As you said Geoff, access to storage areas is the easiest change to make and it is cost effective when poured-in-place curbs are not built.

4. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I have made the offer of "free" consultation for just this service. In 20 years, 3 people have taken me up on it, and made design changes. The balance (about 30) have gone on with either their own plans or those of the landscape architect. Results on their own efforts usually look spectacular in the summer, but after a few years of frustrated plowing, the curbs look beat up and the whole job is not what could have been.

As you said Geoff, access to storage areas is the easiest change to make and it is cost effective when poured-in-place curbs are not built.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2001
  5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Nobody cares

I've plowed for 27yrs. & have tried to talk to all that would let me. They don't think it's important,the last one not to listen was a Church, they made the lot 800'x1000' with only one side to push too. I'm not to leave any snow on lot, none. The total of the Church lots = 39miles of plowing so I live with the problem. I gave up 2 other bussiness lots because they added dividers & want no snow on the dividers(15 slots 65'x300') have to pull snow out so you can push out the other way then move it 1000' the other way. Old lot you just pushed the 1000' way. They called back this year & asked if I would reconcider, NOT- --JERKS. Brent

6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Some of them are learning.....
    I've got three customers now(not here in Erie, but Architects from three different parts of the US) that have me working on reviewing plowing plans, making recommendations, and assisting in the snow response plans for sites that are in the planning stages.

It is VERY nice to know that at least SOMEONE is listening... at times.