1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Developement Bid

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Snow Rookie, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Snow Rookie

Snow Rookie Junior Member

This nieghborhood has 3 streets one of them being a cul-da-sac. In total there is about 3/4 of a mile one direction. I figure 3 passes in total. I have driven it and it took me roughly 15 min. at 12 mph. Now they want to get plowed when the snow gets bad (what is bad you ask) i figure 3" should be a trigger what is your oppinion. There is about 100 residents in the nieghborhood. What do you guys figure on clearing out font of each drive way. Thanks

2. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

2-4 Inch= $295.00
    4.1-6 Inch=$ 425.00

Salt Each Drop $160

3. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

If it is a standard size road, i usually get 4 passes to clear. I do a 1 mile stretch of road with 2 culdesacs and it takes me around an hour and a half or so to plow. Fastest I am usually going is around 10mph in there, however the road doesnt have the top coat of asphalt on it so i have to really watch out for man holes. I would use a 2" trigger with plowing every 2" there after. If they want a per push price id say like $125 per push, although I would try to get it for just hourly including travel time to the site.

Do they want you to clean out in front of each driveway from the spill off or is that something your just doing yourself. If you figure to pull into each drive way back blade out the first 5 feet and then push it, that will take you about 2minutes per drive so thats like 3 hours or so to do that. The roads i plow we just push the snow off like the dot does. Since Im using a vblade when i get to the drives i will go into scoop to prevent heavy fall off into the drives but i dont stop to clear out each one. If so Id add in about $200 for doing that then, but I wouldnt recommend doing that unless its required.

As far as salt goes I usually put down around 650lbs per lane mile so your talking around 975lbs of salt. which I would get around $175 for it.

So 2" trigger either hourly (recommended) or per push at $125 with salt billed per lb applied (recommended) or around $175 for it.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

You need to clear it with whoever is in charge. I doubt they will want a 3 inch trigger. Everyone is cheap these days. I had a couple HOA's that only wanted plowed when they called. This is a couple years ago, but we had 4 snow events with a total of 7 inches on the ground, with no calls, then a 4 inch storm came through, and still no calls. So I called them to see what was going on, and they said it's not bad enough yet. Mind you this is way out in the country about 12 miles off my route, so I decided to drive out and take a look for myself. The roads were a complete disaster, I dropped them right then and there. I didn't want to have to deal with going in when they decided it was bad enough, and deal with all the packed down snow and try to do a professional job.

5. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

I would set them up on a two inch trigger maximum. Like RC said, if its a busy HOA and cars are driving in and out, 2inches of packed snow is going to be a PITA. I would recommend a 1" trigger, but from the sounds of it, they wont want that. 2" trigger and then patroling on an as needed basis after that. Under 2" is an automatic salting, unless they request a plowing prior to salt, for us its the same but with 1". 1" of snow auto plow and salt, under 1inch salt only, plow if requested. I would advise not to let them dictate what is bad becasue like RC said you could be showing up there with 7inches of snow and have a per push price of $125 and get screwed. Stictly t/m or inch pricing and salt pricing.

On HOAs roads, we usually plow and salt at the trigger, then patrol every 1" after and salt after the last plowing. No need to salt each time like the dot. Salt it real heavy after the initial plow and the bonding will stop.