1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Detroit - plow truck driver shot dead!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jason Pallas, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas Senior Member

Here's a very bizarre but true story. Last Friday I'm plowing at about 2am - get a call from one of my other truck - "Boss, something musta happened at.... (about 3 block away from our shop on the far northeat side of Detroit). There's eleven cop cars, a couple of amublances and two plow trucks pulled over to the side of the road (left wheels to the curb)." I say to him - probably just an accident. He says "no.... this doesn't look like any accident, there's crime scene tape around everthing and the cops have two block of a major street shut down."
    He can't see much and tells me that an amubulance just left the scene and is headed to a nearby hospital with someone in the back (that they're working on) - driving real slow.
    About an hour or so later, I hapen by the area - it's still roped off with crime scene tape, all the cops are there, etc.... I happen to drive through an alley and look down the street - there I see a dead body lying next to a still running plow truck. There's crime scene evidence techs all over and bullet casing markers all in the street. There's also a police photographer snapping shots of everything. I turn to the radio - nothing. I call my wife to tell her that the dead driver is not me or any of our employees. She watches the morning news - nothing, not a word.
    Finally I call my cousin on the force in a different precienct. I'm sorta freaked because I've always been afraid of something like this - shot dead plowing. We work in a very rich suburb just north of the city BUT we do have several account (commerical and residential in some really crappy areas - areas that used to be great when we started in the biz 25 years ago).
    Anyway - here's what happened: Two off duty cops were doing snow on the side/after hours. Three "Detroiters" ;) decided to jump one of the cops and rob him (bad move). The cop wrestled one guy to the ground when another one of the bad guys produced a gun. That cop and the other off duty officer proceeded to lay waste to the three - killing all of them. The dead body next to the plow truck wasn't a driver - it was a bad guy. YEAH! Still very scary - but score one for the good guys. The thing that pisses me off the most though - the news media didn't even touch the story. I'm sure it was fear of tarnishing an already bad image of the Detroit Police Force - but hell, I say run the story and let all the scum that think plow truck drivers are easy marks know - try and you might end up dead - lying in the street with your own blood freezing your sorry ass corpse to the road in sub-zero temps. I just wanna know when the funerals are so I can go spit on their graves.
    Just thought I'd share that story with you - it's one of the strangest on scariest I've got from 25 years in the biz. Hope everyone of you stays safer this year.
  2. roblandscape

roblandscape Senior Member
    from Phila

Don't f*** with the plow guy:nono:
  3. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

That's why I carry a gun. And Yes I do have a CCW permit. If I go than I am going to take someone with me..:angry:
  4. Jason Pallas

mjmstaff - know what you mean - I'm thinking that if we continue to stay in that area a gun and ccw is in my future too. I know Flint has got some rough areas too.
  5. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

9mm under my seat while plowing.:nod: :gunsfiring:
  6. Manx

Manx Senior Member

It would be nice if the story did make the news

All it's going to take is a few body's and they'll stop trying to jack
    plow trucks.
    :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring: :gunsfiring:
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Glad to hear the plow truck drivers are ok. But the thread title lead me to believe it was the other way around. Makes me all the more glad I live where I do. Getting shot or robbed is just not a concern.
  8. ih82plow

ih82plow Senior Member

The bad guys must not know how much plow guys are billing out.The last person I would think to rob is a plow guy.
  9. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

well there not hi jacking plow trucks yet here but im sure that will change
  10. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

the people who rob others are to stupid to realize that plow drivers have no $$. IF they had half a brain, they would get a job. I am glad those off duty officers shot and killed 3 would be robbers. Who knows who they might have robbed or killed. I support those officers 100 percent.:D :D
  11. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

hey jason....where abouts was the shooting at? (roads)
  12. Jason Pallas

Oh yeah - seeing that body lying next to the plow truck and thinking it was a fellow plow truck driver that was robbed and killed freaked me out. Working and living in and around the city I've seen lots of dead bodies - but looking at this one hit too close to home - it said "this could have been you".
    Don't think I won't be a little extra cautious and a little skitish when I have to go plow next time. I moved out of the city 2 years ago and now have a 45 mile commute (one way) to get into work - moved to the country to get the family away from all that BS.
    I do agree that most of the crackheads out there believe our (plow drivers') pockets are loaded with cash - the reason: they think that we collect $ everytime we drop the blade. They have no idea that we bill customers - this is because when they go out and shovel snow or rake leafs or cut a lawn, they get paid right away - they just think that's the way it works. Damm crackheads - I've seen them kill someone for three dollars (I'm just assuming these guys were the same type). There's nothing more dangerous than a crackhead or a 14 year-old with a gun (they'll kill ya just to impress their friends because they know the most they can get is juvey until they turn 21). It's a damm shame.

Big Bad - it was at Radnor and East Warren in Detroit (right near where Mack and East Warren intersect - just outside of Grosse Pointe) close to the Cadieux or Morross and I-94 area.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2004
  13. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

hey, that wasen't gorry enough for the news to print, that happens daily, and it was probably toooooo cold for them to fire up the news truck and send a camera crew out :dizzy:
  14. Jason Pallas

Eyesell - it was pretty gorey - but there was that triple murder on Haverhill that happened that same night (where the landlord found the bodies shot execution style) - that's about 2 miles away. So , I know the news was out - I even e-mailed WDIV and Fox2 news when I got home - they said "thanks for the tip - we'll look into it".
    Who knows why they didn't cover it. I know there's lots of stuff that happens in the city that they don't even touch - but this one certainly should have been at least mentioned.
  15. pjslawncare

pjslawncare Member

Glad plow guys are OK and thugs got what they deserve. Interesting that media didnt cover that one. IMO media rather portray guns as bad and when they are used in justifiable defence media wont cover it.
    I carry my handgun and personal protection permit just in case. Best book I read is "In the gravest extreme" by Massohd Ayoob. If you choose to carry, I suggest you read this book
  16. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

thats what i would call street justice, if someone is going to try to take my life then they better be prepared to die themselfs
  17. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Glad to hear the cops are alright. Cops are the wrong people to mess with they all carry guns when off duty. I don't plow in any "bad areas" but my town is sandwiched between the worst neighborhoods of Boston and another city Brockton, MA that has some not so good areas. The main roads through town often have some bad people out late at night (in cars). Other than that my town of 33,000 is quiet after 9 PM no one out walking the streets. As soon as i am old enough i think i will get a gun for protection the world is too dangerous today not to have one IMO. While it is unlikely that i would get robbed in residential neighborhoods the only protection i have is a small knife but i also have a truck and plow that can be used to ram someone if necessary:nod:

I was in Detroit this summer, wow what a dangerous city! I could not believe how bad it was right downtown. We stayed at the Ramada (a complete dump) in downtown for one night then got the hell out. After seeing a tigers game at Comerica park which is a beautiful park, we walked back to the hotel (around 10 PM) and had some crackheads yelling things at us like what are you white pieces of sh@@ doing here give us money etc. You just have to ignore them and hope they don't have a gun. we just crossed the street and picked up the pace and finally got back to the hotel. Also the whole city seems vacant half the hotels we checked were closed! Sad situation there you can tell Detriot used to be nice.
  18. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Would'nt it be nice if the three shot by the plow driver were the perps in the execution style shooting you mentioned just down the road?

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

You know what they say, "F**k the dog, Beware of the owner!".
  20. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I work as a Paramedic for the last 25 years, been there, seen 1,000's of dead bodies.
    I had thought about posting a thread " Do you carry a weapon while plowing" I do, and have 4 speed loaders too. I shoot about at least 24 rounds a week or more. I can hit you at 50 feet in the 10 ring easy. I feel that when we are out plowing the creeps know the police are many minutes away when it snow's heavy. They will try to rob you or kill you, a rock of crack is a rock of crack to them. How they get the money does not matter to them. I don't condone carrying a CCW, but you will never see it unless you try to rob me or take my truck. The worse part is I had to pull it in my own driveway when a guy tried to rob me in the great neighborhood I live in. Surprise, put your hands up or I shoot you.