1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Detroit or St Louis Salt Suppliers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Architerra, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Architerra

Architerra Junior Member
    from USA

Hey all, looking for salt suppliers by the ton in Detroit or St Louis. Trying to find someone other than Morton or a huge company like that, I want a locally owned business if possible, Detroit Salt Co seems like one. Where do you guys get your salt from? Thanks

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Good luck to ya buying salt this year in the D.

3. liquidchloride

liquidchloride Junior Member

FYI

just got word today of a (2nd) company floating their own barge in---25,000 tons from Egypt.

Retail salt will be high priced and if we get an average start to winter--we may all find salt hard to find--I know TCLA knows what they are talking about.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

A vessel from Egypt eh?

Good luck to them. It's my understanding (from a gentleman I know who purchased a vessel of African salt not long ago) that they are not very honest regarding the moisture content of the African salt. He had to go through the expense of getting and loading an excavator on board so it could break up and off load the material. He wasn't very happy about that.

Might want to consider South American salt.

It's going to be real interesting to see how this whole salt situation shakes out for contractors not just in our market, but in all the snow markets. Texas and Georgia are now screwing things up for everyone as they have now officially entered the salt market big time. They have (and still are) building salt domes all over the place down there and are filling them up. Since they are municipalities they of course get first dibs and special pricing...which leaves more salt unavailable for the trades.

5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

How much would we be looking at for a whole barge? Half a million?

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Depends on how much salt the particular barge can hold. Correct me if I'm wrong, but barges hold 1,500 or so tons...some a little more.

Same goes with vessels...depends how big it is. Vessels can hold between 25,000 to 50,000 tons.

Chump change for someone like liquidchloride. :waving:

7. liquidchloride

liquidchloride Junior Member

Not us! Just trying to pass along info to the folks---At this time--we don't believe our industry has really addressed the problem we are all facing. We believe there is--at best--enough salt for half the season----which half are we all betting on? If we don't get snow from Nov-Feb---we'll be OK--not the bet we are making.

As I research more info--I will pass it along--by the way-- I think the Egypt buyer is in for more than they bargained for--

8. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I just heard from my supplier to not send quotes out yet so we don't have any surprises

9. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought my salt for the season. I don't use that much since I still use alot of liquid but at least I know I have it and don't have to worry come Jan. My supplier still has salt at $120 per ton delivered in the Detroit area. call me and I will give you his name and number.