1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Detroit lockers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EIB, Nov 6, 2002.

1. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I was thinking of putting lockers in my truck. Has anybody put them in? Any coments on who makes the good ones.

2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Long or short wheelbase?

NOT in the front in a plow truck. 1) Then tend to crab the vehicle sideways. 2) Makes turning nearly immpossible on any surface that has a semblance of traction, especially with the plow raised.

Unbreakable and reliable are how I would describe them. In my Jeep they make doughnuts VERY easy, I think it would be fine in a pickup.

I also have an ARB that I run off of compressed CO2 that I like a lot better for a front application.

Howard

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

LOCKERS FOR TRUCK

Grab a 4wheeler magazine off the rack and check ARB as Howard said or the dozens of other MFG. out there.

I like limited slip in front and rear. THe older ford's were great because you could adjust the clutches for your own liking.
    I set up the rear to be almost a full lock and the front to slip on the corners. True detroit lockers look like a ramp with a wall at the end. Going forward it's wall to wall but going around corners they can move backward to allow a little slip. This also happens when you back up.

Spool locks are full lock up with no slip. most ARB's are this type. There are lot's of options out there.

Jerre

4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

Lockers

I have a 2003 F350 SD Crewcab short box. I had limited slip in my old truck and it was worthless. I was looking at True Trax. They have units that just replace the spider gears in the carrier, so you don't have to remove the carrier. That way there is no setting up backlash etc. One other company makes units that use a planetary gear set up, so the can be used in the front. How long have you had the ARB. Are they reliable?

Everett

5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

2 years, reliability is all in the installation. Never had a problem.

6. hiranger

hiranger Member

We put a Power Trax Locker in the rearend of a 2 wheel drive
    F-450. Works great for plowing, though I am not sure they recommend it. Pretty noisy going around corners. Glad I have got it.

7. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

i had an 84 chevy k-20 that i used for plowing that i also used for 4 wheeling. i put a powertrax in the front, i liked the additional traction but it put a lot of strain on the front end when turning, also a lot of jerking. its real noisy when turning. i think an air locker would be better when you need the additional traction, but disengage it when you dont.

8. hiranger

hiranger Member

Sometimes when new guys drive that truck they think that something is the matter with it. Then I tell them that the noise and little jerkiness is normal. They usually just give me a strange look.