1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

determining how much my plow weighs

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by danmc, Jan 31, 2004.

1. danmc

danmc Member

After the last event I realized quickly that I need balast. I've read that I should put in half of what the plow weighs...
    I have an older 7'6" ST90 - does it weigh close to what a new model weighs?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. snowpushn420

snowpushn420 Junior Member

ballast

Sounds like a good guideline to follow, If I were you I would'nt lose any sleep over it though. Throw 400 or 500 pounds in the back and go from there. If you have a water softener you can just buy a few x-tra bags next time and I can garantee you will never run out that way.. If not those tubes of sand are 70 lbs. or so pick up a few of those.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

500 to 1000 is what i run in my trucks

4. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

An easy way to find out how much it weighs is to go to a scale. The farm supply (Feed Bins) near me will scale for free if you don't need a weight slip.
    Pull truck onto scale, weigh with plow on scale. then pull to edge of scale and drop plow on ground just off scale, weigh again. Subtract 2nd amount from 1st amount to get weight of plow.
    Much more accurate than guessing...Chuck

5. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Can't you look in the specs somewhere?? Get the factory weight? Even the old plows should have a manual available. Call the factory too.

Or just put 700 lbs of balast. I use mostly bagged salt and 8 or so 70lb bags of sand.

6. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I never trust listings, usually in brochures. I want to be sure...Chuck